Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there a hope to get a major card?

tag
Meskini
New Contributor

Is there a hope to get a major card?

I had some financial issues back in 2009 and i burned almost every major credit cards issuers: Amex, BOA, Chase, Citi.
Now that I have a much cleaner profile: the only remaining baddie is an auto loan CO on my Equifax report and scheduled to fall off this upcoming may.
I managed to get the cards on my signature, but for obvious reasons things will never be the same? Do I have a chance to get a prime card and get back in the good credit club? I know that they have me blacklisted but not sure if they will let me in?
My situation now is much better, i make over 150k a year and that's why i was living on cash and had no issues until I decided to take this back under control and of course hit the 7 years to have a much cleaner report.
My EQ fico score is 656 now because I still have the only baddie which helped generate a score, both EX and TU scores should be generated on June.

Thank you for your reading.

We live and learn!
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Is there a hope to get a major card?

Your story sounds somewhat similar to mine. From 2006 to 2009, I had a series of life events that led to financial wipeout. I burned BofA, Citi, a lot of store cards, the IRS, and the state. From 2009 until mid-2017 I only used cash. Last August I started my rebuild with a CapOne secured card, $200 SL. The baddies had dropped off my credit reports by then, except for the liens still showing on TransUnion. I made a small monthly charge (phone bill) and always paid in full and on time. Got the credit steps increase to $500 after 5 months with a FAKO TU score at 707. At the 6-month point I signed up for Discover's monthly FICO score from Experian. I was stunned... 753! A month later it was up to 781. So I started checking the pre-qualify offers from two new (to me) issuers... Discover and Amex... checked once a week for three weeks, I always pre-qualified. Finally pulled the trigger for both cards the same day, mid-March. I was instantly approved... $1000 for Discover IT, and $4000 for Amex BCE.

So yes, there's hope. You might want to stay away from the banks you burned. Go to Discover or CapOne for a secured card, take very good care of it, and doors will open.

[Edit] Sorry, I hadn't looked at the cards in your signature when I wrote the above. Looks like you're already well on your way. Wishing you the best!

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

From what I’ve read, AMEX and Chase never forget.

I burned chase, and probably am never getting back. (Been 7 years, and it’s all falling off my reports this year) Amex, depending on the amount you burned them for, can “blacklist” you for 5-10 years.. I’m not quite sure the amount, but I read it not too long ago.

I’ve also read where people who have burned Chase in the past, get back in, only to have it closed when they take a closer look. 🤷‍♀️

It’s been almost 10 years for you, so checking pre-quals might not hurt. But try to garden for a bit and the discover it is really good with graduating, though. It grows nicely.
Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

There is always hope.  Less than 2 years ago I had 1 score in the high 400s.  Take a look at my rebuilding link.

I just attacked each negative one at a time.  Thanks to the MyFico Forums, things are a bit different these days.  Not perfect, but definitely different.

Good luck!

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.