cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is there even any point? It seems hopeless.

tag
SheSaidSheila

Is there even any point? It seems hopeless.

Derogatory items and when they are scheduled to fall off my credit:

12/13:  Bankruptcy

8/14:  Judgment $1031

9/14:  Collection $ 529 - United Credit Svcs - MEDICAL

10/14: Charge Off $1031- WE Energies

3/15: Collections - (7) total; $51; $167; $186; $103; $60; $124; $527 - State Collection Service (OC is Aurora) - ALL MEDICAL

4/15: Charge-Off $5172 - Chase/Bank One

?/16: Collection $353 - Convergent (OC Sprint Wireless)

1/17: Collection $74 - State Collection Service (OC Aurora) - MEDICAL

none

2019  this is really depressing.  I was almost out of the woods and I went and effed it up again - unemployed spouse, bad time, got overwhelmed and just started ditching the bills I couldn't pay in full. figured what was the point in trying anymore :-( 

6/19: Collection $243 - Alliance (OC Aurora) - MEDICAL

6/19: Collection $457 - Cavalry (OC HSBC, was a Best Buy cc)

8/19  Charge Off $1472 - We Energies (currently trying to collect via Harris & Harris 'law firm' located in another state)

10/19: Collection $884 - Americollect - MEDICAL

I won't even get into late payments. it's Not Good. 

Also, I have received letters and calls from Diversified Consultants trying to collect a debt for DirecTV, claiming unpaid bill  of almost $900 (partially correct; I didn't pay about $200 and they cancelled) plus cancellation fee and unreturned equipment ( I DID return the equipment).  So far they haven't reported to CRA's from what I can see, and I have not responded to them at all.

Sigh.  Just, sigh.  I am tyring to take everything in one piece at a time. I think I made a mistake when I first started researching. I disputed nearly everything with the CRA's. A few were deleted, but those that are left have dispute comments.

My student loans (there are something like 11, just with one company) were reported late last year, during a sale period to another lender during which I should have been under a forbearance. There are 11 flags for 60 days late on payments as low as $5 or so because I never consolidated. I am going to try to get this off my report.

I have gotten my Capital One cc ($300 limit) back under the credit limit and am working to get it down to a near zero balance. Just got approved for a Kohl's cc and charged it up for the holdiays, but should be able to get it down to %10 within a month or two.   

All I can do is do better from here.  I'm hoping posting this will help me keep going. Thanks for reading.

Starting Score: 543
Current Score: 543
Goal Score: 620

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
almost_there
Regular Contributor

Re: Is there even any point? It seems hopeless.

Hey,

I'm not the most well-versed here on how to specifically help you given the information and I'm just back after a 5 year haitus, during which I royally screwed myself after having improved, but it definitely isn't hopeless. All any of us can do is learn the lessons of the past and try our best now. You've got some big things due to fall off your report in less than a year and that's a major win, I think. And aside from the $5000 deal with Chase, what you owe to individual accounts feels manageable depending upon your income. I'd start with the smallest sums and try to pay them off in one shot one paycheck at a time and in doing so ask for PFDs. For Direct TV, can you prove you returned the equipment? If so, take that back to Direct TV and get your balance adjusted and then pay the collection company for not reporting. I'd start there. Good luck to you! And hurray! You got approved for a Kohl's card. That counts as progress. You've got me thinking of applying for one. I'm just a few points below your current score. There's hope, right? ;-)

11/2013 FICO: 517 (TU), 560 (EX), 539 (EQ)
11/2013 FAKO: 593 (TU), 591 (EX), 595 (EQ)
Message 2 of 4
SheSaidSheila

thanks, almost_there.  I guess it is a plus that I'm even in a position to think about improving my credit.  I'm a social worker, so my income isn't impressive - just under $40k.  But my spouse is now employed (at $26k, but it sure beats the 11k in unemployment) and it looks like this job will stick (knockonwood).  So, yes, there may be hope.

FWIW, I had always been rejected by Kohl's before. I accidentally entered the wrong birth date on the app online, and so get a message asking me to call them to complete the app. I got a human and was amazed when I got my piddly little line of credit.  :-D  I have a feeling it had something to do with calling in, but who knows!

Starting Score: 543
Current Score: 543
Goal Score: 620

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 3 of 4
almost_there
Regular Contributor

Well, it's a win. I think dividing up your list into two columns: win and work on will help a great deal. Then everything won't feel so daunting. The things due to fall off in less than a year and your husband working are wins and you can only grow/build from there. You'll be surprised at the progress you'll make in just 6 months time, I bet! :-)

11/2013 FICO: 517 (TU), 560 (EX), 539 (EQ)
11/2013 FAKO: 593 (TU), 591 (EX), 595 (EQ)
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.