Did you mean: 

Is this a Joke PenFed??

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Re: Is this a Joke PenFed??

@gdale6 wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

Ok so calling PenFed got me absolutely nowhere... She said she couldn't even see what credit score I had when I apped, but knows why I didn't get approved. Apparently, for the AMEX card with PenFed, you need to have a credit score of at LEAST 840!! What the fluff??

She said I should contact EQ because they were the one's who generated the score. Ugghh like I'm going to call the worst credit bureau there is to speak to someone who won't even know what the heck I'm talking about. Oh well! I guess I'll just have to wait until my score updates on the PenFed website in April I'm guessing?

I now understand your frustration with PenFed and their customer service. I feel like every time I've called lately, I speak to someone who just doesn't care and wants to get me off the phone. When I first started with PenFed, I would always talk to like the best poeple! They were always so kind and helpful and acted like the WANTED to help. Makes me sad.

Eq didnt gen it Fico did based on Eq info and there is nothing Eq would even do about it. You got someone who doesnt know anything about it. You need to get to the credit manager in a branch.

Ok I'm going to call back after work and ask to speak to a credit manager or supervisor or whatever. Thanks!

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 11 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

Dang.   I'm sorry.   None of what you were told by the CSR made sense.   From not being able to see the score they used (could've contacting the lending dept.), to advising you contact EQ about a score, to requiring a minimum 840 FICO for the Amex.    Ridiculous.    As @Gdale said,  calling EQ would be pointless -- the best they could do was confirm that there's nothing negative on your reports (and just getting to that point with them is often like pulling teeth).  And out of all of the PenFed posts I've read on this forum,  I've never once seen anything about a min 840 FICO for the Amex -- I guess I could have missed it but you'd think that would have been mentioned many, many, many times if it were, in fact, the case.   

I guess you could either go a branch (if there is one near you) or send an email to their member services team (info@hq.penfed.org) and hope for a better response;  or, you could wait to see what your FICO9 says when it updates on their website -- I believe the next updates should be in April -- and if it's different than what was cited in your denial letter (as it should be), then use that to dispute the denial reasons. 

But your experience today sounds like all of my experiences with them.  I haven't tried contacting them since my first month of account opening partly because I haven't had a real need,  but also because, even when I had basic Qs, I determined it just was not worth the possible headache.   I also thought about opening some certificates with them and decided against it because I just don't like them that much. lol. 

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 12 of 29
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@thornback wrote:

Dang.   I'm sorry.   None of what you were told by the CSR made sense.   From not being able to see the score they used (could've contacting the lending dept.), to advising you contact EQ about a score, to requiring a minimum 840 FICO for the Amex.    Ridiculous.    As @Gdale said,  calling EQ would be pointless -- the best they could do was confirm that there's nothing negative on your reports (and just getting to that point with them is often like pulling teeth).  And out of all of the PenFed posts I've read on this forum,  I've never once seen anything about a min 840 FICO for the Amex -- I guess I could have missed it but you'd think that would have been mentioned many, many, many times if it were, in fact, the case.   

I guess you could either go a branch (if there is one near you) or send an email to their member services team (info@hq.penfed.org) and hope for a better response;  or, you could wait to see what your FICO9 says when it updates on their website -- I believe the next updates should be in April -- and if it's different than what was cited in your denial letter (as it should be), then use that to dispute the denial reasons. 

But your experience today sounds like all of my experiences with them.  I haven't tried contacting them since my first month of account opening partly because I haven't had a real need,  but also because, even when I had basic Qs, I determined it just was not worth the possible headache.   I also thought about opening some certificates with them and decided against it because I just don't like them that much. lol. 

You know, I thought the whole 840 thing sounded a bit fishy. I even asked her are you sure? That would mean you'd have to have basically perfect credit to get that card, and she confirmed it. She said the starting limit for that card is high, but didn't specify the amount. My first card with them was approved for $8,000 and then I combined it with the other one for a limit of $16,000, so would it be higher than that?

I'm for sure going to call back on my way home, since the drive is about 25 min anyways. Except I'm going to ask to speak to someone like a supervisor who actually knows that the heck they're talking about. Maybe I can even get them to reconsider my application, or maybe I don't want them to at this point LOL. I've loved PenFed since the beginning, but they're slowly starting to lose my trust in them.

I also wanted to open some certificates with them, but the guy I spoke to on the phone again sounded like he just didn't care and wasn't even answering the questions I was asking. Probably won't be looking to them for a mortgage when the time comes either.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Message 13 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

You know, I thought the whole 840 thing sounded a bit fishy. I even asked her are you sure? That would mean you'd have to have basically perfect credit to get that card, and she confirmed it. She said the starting limit for that card is high, but didn't specify the amount. My first card with them was approved for $8,000 and then I combined it with the other one for a limit of $16,000, so would it be higher than that?

I'm for sure going to call back on my way home, since the drive is about 25 min anyways. Except I'm going to ask to speak to someone like a supervisor who actually knows that the heck they're talking about. Maybe I can even get them to reconsider my application, or maybe I don't want them to at this point LOL. I've loved PenFed since the beginning, but they're slowly starting to lose my trust in them.

I also wanted to open some certificates with them, but the guy I spoke to on the phone again sounded like he just didn't care and wasn't even answering the questions I was asking. Probably won't be looking to them for a mortgage when the time comes either.

Yea,  I've pretty much decided I'm just going to stick with the one card I have with them... with my little $3K limit  (won't even ask for an increase at my 6 month mark becuase my DTI is kinda high right now and I know they're all about that)... and see how things go. 

I truly hope you have better luck when you call them back.  Again, please update when you get the chance -- and triple check that 840 thing because that is just not sitting right with me -- even if it does come with a higher limit. 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 14 of 29
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

Message 15 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

And with a 700 EQ FICO9 (671 EQ FICO8)... 

@MyDataMyChoice wrote:

I call incompetence 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/PenFed-Amex-Approval-2-years-8-Months-Post-CH7/m-p/54466...

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 16 of 29
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@MyDataMyChoice wrote:

I call incompetence 

https://ficoforums.myfico.com/t5/Bankruptcy/PenFed-Amex-Approval-2-years-8-Months-Post-CH7/m-p/54466...

Oh Wow.... ok that lady didn't know squat! Kinda makes me mad, actually. She honestly seemed like she was in a hurry to get me off the phone and sounded annoyed when I would ask questions. I know not everyone at PenFed is like that, but man, she was a bummer!

Message 17 of 29
beutiful5678
Frequent Contributor

You might have a split file on EQ. They have had a lot of problems with those.

EX 8: Aug 2021 - 692 | EQ 8: Aug 2021 - 714 | TU 8: Aug 2021 - 673
Message 18 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

I feel like this has to be a mistake... I've been checking my credit score on the PenFed site, and it's still stuck at 719 since 1/2019, so obviously they don't update it every month.

FYI -  My EQ9 has been updated on PenFed's site as of today with a pull date of 3/12 (last updated score pull was dated 1/8);  and my EQ report shows an AR on 3/12 (last AR was 2/12).   So you may want to check and see if your score updated on their site... 

2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
Garden Status:  

Message 19 of 29
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

I just checked mine....

Your FICO® Score 9, based on Equifax data and pulled on 03/12/2019, is 624 and is the same score that PenFed uses to manage your account.

Message 20 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.