Did you mean: 

Is this a Joke PenFed??

tag
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

Re: Is this a Joke PenFed??

@thornback wrote:

@Queen_Etherea wrote:

I feel like this has to be a mistake... I've been checking my credit score on the PenFed site, and it's still stuck at 719 since 1/2019, so obviously they don't update it every month.

FYI -  My EQ9 has been updated on PenFed's site as of today with a pull date of 3/12 (last updated score pull was dated 1/8);  and my EQ report shows an AR on 3/12 (last AR was 2/12).   So you may want to check and see if your score updated on their site... 

Yeah I noticed mine updated today as well. Went down a couple of points, but still in the 700's.... Also shows it was pulled on 3/12.

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Officially collection free as of 3/19/19!!
STARTING SCORES: 377 (11/2013) & 580 (3/2018)
Message 21 of 29
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@beutiful5678 wrote:

You might have a split file on EQ. They have had a lot of problems with those.

How do I find out if I have a split file? EQ always says they can't verify my identity, so maybe you're right. I'm going to have to call them, aren't I?

I think I've found the sacred map that may lead me to this garden everyone keeps talking about.

Message 22 of 29
sjt
Senior Contributor

@thornback wrote:

I see in your siggy that you are officially collection free as of 3/19/19 (congrats!) -- so perhaps that is an internal score they are using (since that doesn't match or even come close to any of the scores you have listed in your sig)  and based off the old data showing the collection(s) account(s)? 

Since your Fico9 hasn't updated on their site since January, perhaps they haven't completed a new acccount review of your reports yet - were any of your FICOs that low prior to the collections removal?  Either that or are they have your data mixed up with someone elses... 

Why not send them a message and ask what score they are using and the date of the report that generated that score?   Maybe they'll reconsider with updated info... though, of course, that will probably result in a HP.    

FYI- Paid collections dont count in scoring for FICO9

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 23 of 29
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@sjt wrote:

@thornback wrote:

I see in your siggy that you are officially collection free as of 3/19/19 (congrats!) -- so perhaps that is an internal score they are using (since that doesn't match or even come close to any of the scores you have listed in your sig)  and based off the old data showing the collection(s) account(s)? 

Since your Fico9 hasn't updated on their site since January, perhaps they haven't completed a new acccount review of your reports yet - were any of your FICOs that low prior to the collections removal?  Either that or are they have your data mixed up with someone elses... 

Why not send them a message and ask what score they are using and the date of the report that generated that score?   Maybe they'll reconsider with updated info... though, of course, that will probably result in a HP.    

FYI- Paid collections dont count in scoring for FICO9

Right, but I don't have any collections. My last one on EQ was deleted last year in August or September.

Message 24 of 29
Anonymous
Not applicable

I didn't read everything in this thread so I apologize if something has already been said before.

You can use www.creditchecktotal.com to get your scores for free every month for $1.  I do agree it seems odd that your score is showing so low on the paper.

Also, why not just get an Amex from American Express?  Is there a reason you want it from PenFed?

Message 25 of 29
thornback
Senior Contributor

We were speaking specifically of EQ FICO 9 as that is the score used by PenFed.  CCT does not offer FICO 9 scores so that would, unfortunately, not be helpful in this situation.    You'll see in the thread that the score received on paper after decline does not match OP's FICO 9 scores as provided by their monitoring service or the most recently updated score on PenFed's site.   So this decline based on the given score seems to have been some sort of error. 

As far as why PenFed over Amex --I'll let OP answer that as that is one's personal choice.  But.. OP, per their siggy, seems to already have a few Amex cards so I'm sure is aware of Amex's travel cards as well.  PenFed's Pathfinder card does offer a couple of perks (points, Free TSA pre-check, $100 annual airline credit) with no annual fee - which may make it a better option for OP.  It's also a credit union as opposed to a big bank so your customer relationship is more likely to be higher valued - especially if you grow that relationship through multiple products - which may yield better rates on mortagage / auto / personal loans down that line.  They (as most CUs) are also not as sqeemish with card use as Amex -- OP could, for example, carry a large balance / BT for an extended period of time, utilize the cash advance feature, make only the miniumum payment, etc. and not be overly concerned about an adverse action like being CLD or potentially being refused a CLI...   There are lots of reasons to choose a non-Amex Amex card... especially through a solid credit union.

@Anonymous wrote:

I didn't read everything in this thread so I apologize if something has already been said before.

You can use www.creditchecktotal.com to get your scores for free every month for $1.  I do agree it seems odd that your score is showing so low on the paper.

Also, why not just get an Amex from American Express?  Is there a reason you want it from PenFed?

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 26 of 29
Queen_Etherea
Valued Contributor

@thornback wrote:

We were speaking specifically of EQ FICO 9 as that is the score used by PenFed.  CCT does not offer FICO 9 scores so that would, unfortunately, not be helpful in this situation.    You'll see in the thread that the score received on paper after decline does not match OP's FICO 9 scores as provided by their monitoring service or the most recently updated score on PenFed's site.   So this decline based on the given score seems to have been some sort of error. 

As far as why PenFed over Amex --I'll let OP answer that as that is one's personal choice.  But.. OP, per their siggy, seems to already have a few Amex cards so I'm sure is aware of Amex's travel cards as well.  PenFed's Pathfinder card does offer a couple of perks (points, Free TSA pre-check, $100 annual airline credit) with no annual fee - which may make it a better option for OP.  It's also a credit union as opposed to a big bank so your customer relationship is more likely to be higher valued - especially if you grow that relationship through multiple products - which may yield better rates on mortagage / auto / personal loans down that line.  They (as most CUs) are also not as sqeemish with card use as Amex -- OP could, for example, carry a large balance / BT for an extended period of time, utilize the cash advance feature, make only the miniumum payment, etc. and not be overly concerned about an adverse action like being CLD or potentially being refused a CLI...   There are lots of reasons to choose a non-Amex Amex card... especially through a solid credit union.

@Anonymous wrote:

So well said that I have nothing to add... LOL. Although lately I've been getting not so nice customer service from them, I still think it's beneficial to grow my relationship with PenFed. They were the one's who took a chance with me when my scores were in the 500's for a car loan. I paid it on time for 2 years and then traded the car in for a new one. They were the only one's who gave me a sizeable credit line, starting at $8,000 for TWO cards (which I combined for a CL of $16,000), when everyone else started me out super low.

Unfortunately, I still haven't called them regarding this as I haven't had the time to do so. Something keeps coming up that needs my attention more, but it's still in the back of my mind to do so. I will keep you guys posted if I'm able to get through to someone who can answer my questions and figure out why that specific score was used.

Message 27 of 29
howellco2
Frequent Contributor

Just wondering how do you apply for this card with only a soft pull

MAJOR BANK CARDS Amex BC 15k, Amex CM 1500, Amex Delta 1k, BB&T Travel 4500, BBVA 6900, CAP1QS 2600, Discover 3300, Marvel MC 6000, Wells Fargo CR 4500, Blispay 2k
CREDIT UNION CARDS DCU 2k , Robbins 10k, United1st 5k
STORE CARDS Amazon 10k, Home Depot 5k, PayPal 4k, Walmart 6k, Lowes 12k
Message 28 of 29
sjt
Senior Contributor

@howellco2 wrote:
Just wondering how do you apply for this card with only a soft pull

With PenFed its a soft pull only if you get a pre-approved offer. 

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 29 of 29
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.