Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Is this legal?

tag
xecutech
Contributor

Is this legal?

I had a collection agency that I had 3 medical collections with pull a fast one on me, I think.

I called and paid in full on 2 of them, but the person with the CA pointed out that one of the collections should have dropped off a year ago, so they couldn't collect on it due to the SOL. I thought that was very cool of them, so we completed paying off the other two.

I checked my credit report a few weeks later and instead of the debt falling off my credit report, it showed paid and looks like the date had been updated to the day I paid the other debts. It shows a zero balance, but it didn't drop off! I DID not pay them anything on the account, so can they legally do this to restart the 6 years to stay on my credit report?

Going to call them Monday, but would like to know where I stand before dealing with them again.

Thank you.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Is this legal?

Nothing restarts the 7 years it can stay on your CR.

If, in your state, they legally cannot collect on it due to expired SOL, it would need to show a 0 balance.

Do you have before and after pics of the TL you can post?

Message 2 of 4
xecutech
Contributor

I will try to get it for you. Didn't know we could post pics, so i will work on it.

Message 3 of 4
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.