cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issue with Transunion

tag
Shaken101

Issue with Transunion

The beginning of last month I disputed a paid Midland collection account on my Transunion report as it should have fallen off the report last year as the original account did.  I received the results in a few days but was uncertain as to what exactly they verified, so I called TU.  The woman I spoke with told me they verified the date Midland began reporting it as correct, April 2008.  I informed her that my request was to investigate the fact it should have aged off and she told me collection accounts don't work that way.  They continue to be reported for 7 years from the date the collection account was reported regardless of the original account.  This didn't sound right and I browsed the web for answers and everything I have read states the collection account is to be removed 7.5 years from the date of first delinquency with the original creditor.

I called TU back a few days ago and again explained to the rep that I wasn't disputing when the CA starting report but the tradeline should have aged off.  This seemed to make sense to her and she said she would open a new investigation for this.  Yesterday I received a letter from TU stating they won't investigate deeming it frivolous.  Back to the phone I went.  The rep I got this time told me what the first did (atleast I think so as his accent was pretty thick);  Midland can report it for 7 years from the date they got it regardless of when the original account went delinquent and my only recourse was to contact the CA and ask for a delete.

Am I just terribly confused as to how this all works?

Thanks

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
qd
Regular Contributor

Re: Issue with Transunion

I would have thought the same as you...DoFD.  Now Midland might be changing THAT date to keep reporting it longer.

Message 2 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

The DoFD starts from the Original Creditor not the CA. I would file a formal complaint with the FTC against the CRA for giving you false information and the CA for re-aging the debt.

Message 3 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

The DoFD starts from the Original Creditor not the CA. I would file a formal complaint with the FTC against the CRA for giving you false information and the CA for re-aging the debt.

Message 4 of 7
ABuckNow
Contributor

@DaBears wrote:

+1

Fixed.

Message 5 of 7
DaBears
Senior Contributor

LOL I just caught what I said

Message 6 of 7
Shaken101

Thanks for the responses!  I was seriously starting to doubt my reading comprehension skills after having 2 TU reps tell me the same thing.  Both Experian and Equifax deleted the TL a few days after I disputed but Transunion seems to be making their own rules.  Was looking through the forums a bit ago and also came across people having success having Midland TL removed in regards to an account that fell under the FTC ruling, as this was a Tribute Mastercard account.  Would it make more sense to go directly to Midland with the FTC ruling and continue fighting TU?

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.