cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Issues with Experian Dispute

tag
Phil_

Issues with Experian Dispute

This is the first time I've ever disputed, sorry if this is a newbie question...

Earlier this year I disputed a  GE Money Bank/Old Navy charge off with TransUnion that should have already been removed from my credit report. It came back as deleted without a problem so I filed disputes in late Febuary/early March with EQ and EX for the same card and two others with EX that had already been removed from my credit report. EQ came through without a problem.

The EX is taking forever and when I check their website I feel like the result due date keeps getting pushed back, it's currently 4/19. The GE Money Bank/Old Navy is showing as pending, and one of my Citi cards is showing deleted and the other as updated.  Both of those have fallen off my other reports. What are the odds the updated Citi card is now going to be stuck on my report for another 7 years?

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Issues with Experian Dispute

Technically, I dont think that a challenge of credit report exclusion is a disputable matter, as it is not a challenge of accuracy of reporting, but rather failure of the CRA to have dont its job.   But that is a separate issue.

If you send a dispute, the CRA is required to complete their reinvestigation within 30 days of the date of dispute (unless additional supporting info is provided by the consumer, which extends their reinvestigation period to 45 days).  They are then required to send their Notice to you within 5 days after concluding their reinvestigation.

If they considered the dispute to be improper, they have to send a notice that it is dismissed as frivolous or irrelevant.  If they accept the dispute as proper, they have to send a Notice of Results of Reinvestigation.  Either way, they have a statutory period running against them that has no provision for extension.  if they cant verify the accuracy, they must delete until such time as they can provide verification.

How are they extending the period to either dismiss or send notice of their results?  I know of no statutory provision that enables them to do so........

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.