cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It Went to Collections.. Was it My Responsibility?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

It Went to Collections.. Was it My Responsibility?

Back in 2015, I was applying for Disability... the disability determination process required that I go have an exam with an unbiased doctor that was arranged through them. They were to pay the costs of these appointments, even if I weren't approved (I was approved).

Fast-forward 2 years, I started researching credit scores and got my first credit card. I got my 3 credit reports and saw a derogatory mark on my Equifax report... a $47 charge for an xray during these appointments that the disability determination office was supposed to pay for. To date, I've yet to receive anything from the doctor's office or collections pertaining to this. I even checked that they had the right address on file, and they both do. If I had seen it, I'd have paid it out of pocket and worried about getting reimbursed later, because $47 isn't enough to cry about.

I contacted them when I found it and the collections agency was supposed to send me a bill/invoice... it's been nearly 2 more years, because it slipped my mind, but I never did receive anything from the collections agency.

Would this be considered my fault? What steps should I take to get it resolved and removed from my credit report?

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
ItsCASHual
Regular Contributor

Re: It Went to Collections.. Was it My Responsibility?

Which collection agency is handling this? It may be one that does PFD.

Also, if it makes you feel any better, usually medical bills under $100 don't affect credit scoring. I'm not downplaying that it may be an error or that it is unsettling to see on your CR. I would feel the same way.

FICO 8

Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Collection Service Center, Inc. appears to be in charge of it.

Message 3 of 6
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Take the bill to the place where you went to get disability and give it to them. Let them contact the med service and have it fixed if the physical was required to get approved.

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Well, it's a branch of the Social Security Administration... so I'd have to mail it to them. Once paid though, how do I ensure it's taken care of/removed?

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

If it’s determined that they were responsible for payment, then you can have it removed from your reports. Have them send you a receipt proving that they paid it and you should be able to send a copy to each bureau with the explanation, request that they remove it as it wasn’t your responsibility, and it should come off.
Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.