Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

It can be done!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

It can be done!

My wife and I were very lackadaisical when it came to credit. Cards in collections, late payments on loans etc. We messed it up and turned the other cheek from it to ease the fact that we couldn't get a mortgage, credit card, or a car loan that wasn't 19% interest. A year ago this June we realized enough is enough. We went and attempted to get a mortgage and basically the lender laughed at us. My scores were around 475 and hers at 500.

After a year of grinding and obsessing over our credit profiles, we raised them both to right under 700. The lender we tried to use was shocked when he saw it, and gave us our pre approval.

In a week from today we are officially closing on our home that we have busted our butts working to obtain. And I have to thank the people on these forums. For the past year I was asking at least 2 questions a day in these forums and nothing but love and helpful answers from all who took the time to give me advice and insight into how to dig out. To ALL of you, whether you seen my posts, replied or not, THANK YOU! Thank you all for helping me and giving me a piece of mind that I wasn't alone, and that it could be accomplished.

When we turn the key and i pop that bottle of champagne that my wife and i have talked about everyday for months now, i will be thinking of all of you!

To those who are beginning this process take it from me. You are NOT alone. This community will be here for you in your struggles and be genuinely happy for you when you have small victories all the way through to the big ones. It seems impossible, but take it one day, one item, one moment at a time. The hill ahead looks intimidating and too steep to climb, but believe me, the people in these forums are your tools and guides to the climb ahead. Just remember, you got this!

Thank you all!
Message 1 of 16
15 REPLIES 15
Brooklyn2018
Valued Contributor

Re: It can be done!

Congratulations!!! Thank you for sharing. Best wishes years to come!!

👍👍👍👍👍

😊

Goal Score: 600(within a year)**MET MY GOAL** | Goal Score: 700**MET MY GOAL** | Goal score: 800
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

>

I❤️NY
Message 2 of 16
sandez

Thank you for sharing.

I've been working on improving my score little by little since Dec 2017. Slowly but surely. All of my GW requests were denied and attempts to dispute accounts 'verified' by creditors, so all I can do is work on paying down balances. The process has been very slow. I used to google "Raise score by 100 points in a year" and find the idea it can be done so inspiring.  Mine scores have gone up by only 31 points (not having been late or missing a payment since before Dec 2017), so I get discouraged sometimes.  Thanks for sharing your positive story. 

Starting Scores Jul 2015: 620, 605, 605
Got Serious in Dec 2017: TU 600. EQ 628.
EQ went max 636 in Jan 18, 629 Sep 18, and dropped to 608 with a Charge Off report in Oct 18 Score Settled, hoping to PIF & see thow that affects score
First Goal Score (Feb 2019): both consistantly above 640
End Goal: No Debt except mortgage. No Credit except for CC used for perks.
Message 3 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congratulations!! You've come a long way. Always remember, credit management is a marathon not a sprint. Your story is perfect example that it takes time and all your wisdom and patience has paid off.

Message 4 of 16
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@sandez wrote:

attempts to dispute accounts 'verified' by creditors

@sandez you need to understand that when you dispute accurate information you get penalized by the account being updated. This update of a negative account is scored by FICO and lowers your score. On the contrary, always dispute inaccurate information on your credit bureau for when it is deleted, you should receive an increase in your FICO scores.

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 5 of 16
Medic981
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:
My wife and I were very lackadaisical when it came to credit. Cards in collections, late payments on loans etc. We messed it up and turned the other cheek from it to ease the fact that we couldn't get a mortgage, credit card, or a car loan that wasn't 19% interest. A year ago this June we realized enough is enough. We went and attempted to get a mortgage and basically the lender laughed at us. My scores were around 475 and hers at 500.

After a year of grinding and obsessing over our credit profiles, we raised them both to right under 700. The lender we tried to use was shocked when he saw it, and gave us our pre approval.

In a week from today we are officially closing on our home that we have busted our butts working to obtain. And I have to thank the people on these forums. For the past year I was asking at least 2 questions a day in these forums and nothing but love and helpful answers from all who took the time to give me advice and insight into how to dig out. To ALL of you, whether you seen my posts, replied or not, THANK YOU! Thank you all for helping me and giving me a piece of mind that I wasn't alone, and that it could be accomplished.

When we turn the key and i pop that bottle of champagne that my wife and i have talked about everyday for months now, i will be thinking of all of you!

To those who are beginning this process take it from me. You are NOT alone. This community will be here for you in your struggles and be genuinely happy for you when you have small victories all the way through to the big ones. It seems impossible, but take it one day, one item, one moment at a time. The hill ahead looks intimidating and too steep to climb, but believe me, the people in these forums are your tools and guides to the climb ahead. Just remember, you got this!

Thank you all!

Your FICO credit scores are not just numbers, it’s a skill.
Message 6 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Congrats to you and your wife!!!

Thanks for sharing your story and offering encouragement to those just starting their journeys!
Message 7 of 16
Streetervillelady
Frequent Contributor

Congratulations on your new home!

tumblr_pcsmv4WiTV1sokgbpo1_400.gif

Message 8 of 16
Anonymous
Not applicable

Your story is very inspirational. Thanks for sharing! Smiley Happy

Message 9 of 16
19eighty5
Senior Contributor

Congratulations and thank you for sharing your story!

FICO 8 (Feb 2018):EX- 519, TU- 530, EQ- 545
FICO 8 (Sept 2022):EX- 706, TU- 685, EQ- 684
What's in my wallet:

Message 10 of 16
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.