Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

JH Portfolio reporting inaccuracies

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

JH Portfolio reporting inaccuracies

I have two collection accounts with them that have a DOFD of June 1, 2012. I used the online dispute form to request an early exclusion with all three of the bureaus. TransUnion did it immediately, and Experian is still pending,

Equifax, however..

They reported that the dispute was complete and the accounts were verified. Somehow, with this being done, they are saying JH Portfolio has reported a new DOFD as December 2012. I am absolutely furious that they are trying to falsify this data and have already begun new disputes on both accounts to change the DOFD back to what it originally was and is supposed to be.

Has anyone else had issues with this CA?? How long did it take? I am trying to buy a house this fall, and I need these accounts gone by their original date.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: JH Portfolio reporting inaccuracies

Do you have some sort of trail showing your DOFD? And how long did what take? 

An almost 7 year old collection account isn't going to make or break mortgage approvals and it all depends who your lender is and who your personally dealing with. 

Message 2 of 8
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

I have two collection accounts with them that have a DOFD of June 1, 2012. I used the online dispute form to request an early exclusion with all three of the bureaus. TransUnion did it immediately, and Experian is still pending,

Equifax, however..

They reported that the dispute was complete and the accounts were verified. Somehow, with this being done, they are saying JH Portfolio has reported a new DOFD as December 2012. I am absolutely furious that they are trying to falsify this data and have already begun new disputes on both accounts to change the DOFD back to what it originally was and is supposed to be.

Has anyone else had issues with this CA?? How long did it take? I am trying to buy a house this fall, and I need these accounts gone by their original date.

With EEs one needs to call the CRA get a supervisor and ask for it. A dispute filed online results in computer interactions and as you see verification of the entry. Changing the DoFD is a federal crime as its a set in stone date. What you will need to do now is make copies of the previous DoFD that was recorded on your paper copy and mail a copy of it demanding it be corrected.

Message 3 of 8
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, a DOFD is a factual date, but no, a reported DOFD is not factual simply because it was previously reported.

A dispute of accuracy would be based on a showing of the factual date of your first delinquency, and that it thereafter remained continually delinquent up to the date of collection authority by the debt collector.

A dispute that simply asserts that a previously reported DOFD is factual and cannot be changed would not be conclusive.

If the debt collector, in reviewing the history and information provided by the creditor, determines that the previously reported DOFD is inaccurate and needs correction, they are required to do so under FCRA 623(a)(2) based on the reporting guidelines set forth under FCRA 623(a)(5) governing the reporting of a DOFD. 

Changing a previously reported DOFD is not a violation of the FCRA unless they do so with knowledge that the newly reported date is incorrect.

Message 4 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice. Since I had such good luck (and an easy time) doing the EE via online dispute with TransUnion, that's why I proceeded to do the same with both Experian and Equifax. I will do the supervisor phone call in the future should the need arise again.

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of supporting documentation since the account is so old. At the time prior to charge off, I threw out all of the statements and letters from Citi Bank pertaining to the accounts. (I was irresponsible with my finances back then, which is what lead me to this entire situation.) I do have an old TU credit report from January 2013 that shows the DOFD (6/2012) and the CO as reported by Citi Bank before it was sent to a third party debt collector. I did fax that over to EQ a little while ago along with my credit report from 3/23/19 that showed JH Portfolio previously reporting 6/2012.

I also have faxed a request to the back office at Citi Bank to obtain statements and more supporting documentation with the DOFD, as instructed by the Citi representative that I just got off the phone with.

I'm hoping this gets resolved soon and doesn't get dragged out too long. I guess I'm worried that JH Portfolio will still insist on reporting that false date of 12/12. Fortunately, they have not reported the false date to the other CRAs as of today when I last checked.

Message 5 of 8
Fx6cowboy
Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks for the advice. Since I had such good luck (and an easy time) doing the EE via online dispute with TransUnion, that's why I proceeded to do the same with both Experian and Equifax. I will do the supervisor phone call in the future should the need arise again.

Unfortunately, I do not have a lot of supporting documentation since the account is so old. At the time prior to charge off, I threw out all of the statements and letters from Citi Bank pertaining to the accounts. (I was irresponsible with my finances back then, which is what lead me to this entire situation.) I do have an old TU credit report from January 2013 that shows the DOFD (6/2012) and the CO as reported by Citi Bank before it was sent to a third party debt collector. I did fax that over to EQ a little while ago along with my credit report from 3/23/19 that showed JH Portfolio previously reporting 6/2012.

I also have faxed a request to the back office at Citi Bank to obtain statements and more supporting documentation with the DOFD, as instructed by the Citi representative that I just got off the phone with.

I'm hoping this gets resolved soon and doesn't get dragged out too long. I guess I'm worried that JH Portfolio will still insist on reporting that false date of 12/12. Fortunately, they have not reported the false date to the other CRAs as of today when I last checked.

If It were me I would send the CA a dispute requesting documentation that supports them changing the DOFD. Saying something like, "After further review of my credit report, I noticed that your company updated my credit report showing a new DOFD. What method of verfication did you use to support this change?" The burdon of proof is on the credit furnisher not you. Likely they will not respond in 30 days and you could simply request the account be removed. Good luck

Started from the bottom now I'm here. Smiley Happy
Message 6 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ooh that's a great idea. I'm going to try and wait this out (the 30 days), but that will 100% be my next step if it doesn't get resolved in my favor. Thank you!!
Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just a late update!

The dispute I had previously mentioned did come back verified. I then submitted a complaint to the CFPB about the collection agency, in which they responded THE NEXT MORNING that the DOFD in their records was the same as what I had, and that they had updated the bureaus. I was then notified 2 days later that accounts had been removed from Equifax. It was honestly so quick, easy, and effective!
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.