Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jefferson Cap collection (Verizon)

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jefferson Cap collection (Verizon)

So I got hit with a major blow this AM a collection for Verizon wireless for 3k! It’s my debt and I plan to pay in payments. My question is I was never served a dunning letter by them and most likely any letter they sent was returned by the post office since I had a problem my mail all being returned for a good year in a half(mailman issue,I didn’t empty out my mailbox ) can I dispute the CRA’s based on that to delete but still set up payment.
It says due to fall off 2023
Account-debt buyer
Opened 1-22-19
Updated 5-24-19
But it had to be first delinquent in 2017 from Verizon. So could I dispute any of the dates that Jeff cap is reporting ?

I’m looking to have it deleted but I’m also have it stop reporting on credit so my rebuild keeps going on.
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
DR527
Regular Contributor

Re: Jefferson Cap collection (Verizon)

Are both the Collection agency and Verizon reporting the same debt? Not clear from your post. You have two immediate options. The first is to just save up at least 50% of the money and offered it to Verizon for a Paid for Deletion. The second is to call the 1-800 number on your report. And speak to someone over the account about removing the collection by giving them a really good story(Lost my job, got hit by a car. etc). In my personal experience Verizon is very difficult to work with. They called me multiple times a day for months over $180. So I’m sure they will please to hear from you when you call to update your new number. Don’t give them a penny until you have a agreement in writing.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Verizon is not reporting just Jefferson. But it seems they have waited a long time to report since having account from Jan to barely reporting in May. Maybe they were attempting to contact me but mail, and number wouldn’t work since I have new number and mail wasn’t reachable. I’ll try the sob story and knowing mail got returned to sender. Try and work something out.
Message 3 of 7
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

They won’t delete just because you didn’t get a notice and luckily its no Verizon reporting because I have a collection from them and they are reporting but won’t PFD. I also think Jefferson deletes after payment but I would check their website to be sure because now agencies state it on their website.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@simplegirl wrote:
They won’t delete just because you didn’t get a notice and luckily its no Verizon reporting because I have a collection from them and they are reporting but won’t PFD. I also think Jefferson deletes after payment but I would check their website to be sure because now agencies state it on their website.

+1   some do state they will delete now.   If nothing else, at least having it paid will look better on a UW manual review as well.  Hope for you that it will be deleted tho Smiley Happy

Message 5 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Too bad you didnt catch it before it went to a collectons agency. Verizon has their own internal collections dept. They try all they can to recoup whats owed so they dont lose $ after selling it to a collection agency. They are a tough nut to crack. GW Verizon. Doesnt hurt to try. Good Luck!

Message 6 of 7
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The answer to the original question is no.

There is no requirement under either the FCRA, FDCPA, or any goverment regulation under those acts, that a debt collector must first communicate with the consumer before they can report their collection to a CRA.

It is vey common and totally proper for a debt collector to first report to a CRA prior to beginning collection activiies.  They may view such reporting as a collection tactic to get the attention of the consumer, as they have clearly done.

Requirement to send a dunning notice is triggered only upon the debt collector initiating communicaiton with the consumer.  See FDCPA 809(a).  That begins active attempt to collect on the debt.  They can choose to delay initiating communication in attempt to collect on the debt for any period of their choosing.

Reporting to a CRA has not, under case law, been interpreted as an initial communication with the consumer, and thus does not itself trigger requirement to send dunning notice.

Regardless, even if they were under a requirment to have sent dunning notice at some point, lack of dunning notice is not basis to require deletion of a reported collection.  Lack of timely dunning notice can be pursued as a separate violation of the FDCPA, such as be seeking damages of $1,000 under the FDCPA, but does not additionally impose a deletion penalty.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.