Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Jefferson Capital

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Jefferson Capital

New here! I follow a Facebook credit group and from the suggestions there I mailed validate and verify letters to the collection agent Jefferson Capital and to the three credit bureaus. I received notification today that the debt was removed from the credit bureaus. In the same group they are suggesting that I contact JC to settle the debt. I called JC and they confirmed the debt was removed but it’s now with Union Servicing because there’s a balance. What does this mean? Could Union try to collect the balance and if they don’t succeed will this come back up on my credit?
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Jefferson Capital

@Anonymous wrote:
New here! I follow a Facebook credit group and from the suggestions there I mailed validate and verify letters to the collection agent Jefferson Capital and to the three credit bureaus. I received notification today that the debt was removed from the credit bureaus. In the same group they are suggesting that I contact JC to settle the debt. I called JC and they confirmed the debt was removed but it’s now with Union Servicing because there’s a balance. What does this mean? Could Union try to collect the balance and if they don’t succeed will this come back up on my credit?

Hi and welcome 

Sounds like they sold your debt to a different collection agency, probably because they could not validate the debt 

If it's still in reportable period, most likely it will end up on your CR again, and when it does it will damage your score again. You can expect this process to repeat each time new collection agency buys this debt and still can legally report (no longer than 7.5 years from DOFD). 

Your best bet is to contact them before they start reporting and offer to pay/settle in exchange for not reporting. 

BTW, JC does PFD, so if you really wanted this gone, you kinda missed your boat there. 

Good luck 

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for responding. If I settle with Union, JC will not take the account back right? Just trying to figure if I pay that it will not appear back on my credit. Because it sounds like even though JC deleted it they can get it back and put it on my credit again.
Message 3 of 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@Anonymous wrote:
Thanks for responding. If I settle with Union, JC will not take the account back right? Just trying to figure if I pay that it will not appear back on my credit. Because it sounds like even though JC deleted it they can get it back and put it on my credit again.

If it's within 7.5 years from when it went delinquent, it can appear on your CR

It's best to try now while it's not on your report. Of course, there are no guarantees, but it's definitely worth a try.

If JC and Union are two separate entities, and debt was sold to Union, I dont see it being bought again by JC. 

Two collection agencies cannot simultaneously report the same debt 

Message 4 of 5
TheFIGuy
Established Contributor

@Remedios

Can confirm JC does PFD!
Cannot confirm Union PFD.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.