Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joining a Credit Union

tag
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Joining a Credit Union

I'm not sure if this is the right forum but I was wondering if it was typical for a CU to do a hard pull for membership?  Even to just open a savings account.

Message 1 of 14
13 REPLIES 13
fishbjc
Senior Contributor

Re: Joining a Credit Union

Yes. Nfcu pulls tu for membership.
Message 2 of 14
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Ok.  I guess now would be as good-a-time as any to take the hit.  I want to ideally get all my hits out of the way and by the time I apply for a mortgage have no inq's on my credit.

Message 3 of 14
KoolDev
Regular Contributor

NFCU pulled an experian soft pull on me.  I just joined today  YaY!

My Sock Drawer: Care Credit $4200-0, JCP 2100-0, Chase 3000-0, Chase Freedom $4500.00-0, WF $1000.00-0.00
In Use: NFCU Visa Sig $17.5k- 0.00k
I still have too MANY CARDS
Starting Score 538
Current Score Oct 30-14 701 fico Eq-- 745 Fico Tu-- 713 Fico Ex
Message 4 of 14
dianna98

My credit union also did a hard inquiry when I opened a checking account. They showed me my score but wouldn't give me a copy of the report.
Message 5 of 14
Lordberkman

I just joined logix (formerly Lockheed federal) and they hard pulled Experian. Great cu. guy gave me the copy of report and a 15k cc and refi'd my car loans at 2.99%
Message 6 of 14
choppa02
Contributor

Did you get all that with one pull? I plan on joining a CU but I'd rather apply for a car loan and the checking account with the same pull
Message 7 of 14
Shellie
Valued Contributor

Mine told me that the HP is good for 60 days.  I don't live in the same town so I'll have to stop in next time I'm in the area to open my accounts.  My scores are still not high enough to qualify for any high limit cc's or even a "good" interest rate on a new loan.  I just broke 600 on EQ and accorinf to CareCredit 627 on TU. 

Message 8 of 14
Shellie
Valued Contributor

According to Credit Sesame my EX is 589...

Message 9 of 14
NewGirlNewLife
Established Member

@choppa02 wrote:
Did you get all that with one pull? I plan on joining a CU but I'd rather apply for a car loan and the checking account with the same pull

I have the same question. And if they're pulled separately, would they all count in the multiple pulls over 30-45 days for auto loans thing, even though one is for membership?

Newbie, rebuilding after divorce.
(10/1/2013 from MyFico 3-score)
EXP: 696
EQ: 661
TU: 668
Goal: 700+ for all three!
Message 10 of 14
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.