Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Joint credit cards accounts

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Joint credit cards accounts

Hi

Does any one which credit card allows yo add a joint to an exsiting Account.

Message 1 of 12
11 REPLIES 11
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: Joint credit cards accounts

You can add an AU authorized user to mostly all CC accounts. Some banks give a small bonus to do so.

Message 2 of 12
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A joint account holder is different from an authorized user.

A joint account holder is legally responsible for the loan as a co-holder, while an authorized user has no legal obligation for any debt on the account.

A joint account holder signs and agrees to responsibility, and cannot simply be added without a new contractural agreement with teh creditor.

The creditor will normally require a new loan agreement, with both parties signing as joint account holders.

I know of no creditors who will legally permit a consumer to simply add another party to an existing account.

Message 3 of 12
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

I stand corrected. Thanks RobertEG. Learned 1 more thing on the boards now. But if a primary messes up doesnt the AU get nailed too? Just as a joint account. Or does the AU get the score hit but they dont come after the AU if the primary doesnt pay. Thanks.

Message 4 of 12
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

I stand corrected. Thanks RobertEG. Learned 1 more thing on the boards now. But if a primary messes up doesnt the AU get nailed too? Just as a joint account. Or does the AU get the score hit but they dont come after the AU if the primary doesnt pay. Thanks.

I am somewhat  sure they get the score hit, but are not legally/financially liable.

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 5 of 12
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

ANy negative reporting done to an AU can be removed with a simple dispute... not mine AU Only

Message 6 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you. But I was told by a friend that he has done it a while ago but doesn’t remember which bank and he was able to add an joint to a existing account.

So if any one knows which card issuers allows it please reply
Message 7 of 12
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

WHY Would you want to be a JOINT Account holder?
AU Usually report and help your score...

Don't sign up for more liability?

Message 8 of 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Au is the best way to go in my opinion. Hubby and I are joint account holders for a credit card at our local credit union, however we signed up for the card together.

I've never heard of anyone being added after the fact except as AU.
Message 9 of 12
MyDataMyChoice
Valued Contributor

I Know US Bank allows you to add a Join Account Holder... but BOTH Account Holders must meet there credit underwriting.

Message 10 of 12
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.