cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement after a debt is over 7 yrs old??

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgement after a debt is over 7 yrs old??

I have a company that is trying to get a lawyers office to put a judgement on my credit.  The company bought the debt years ago, but it is now almost 8 years old.  Can they file a judgement on my credit if it is considered old??
Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Judgement after a debt is over 7 yrs old??

Have you ever made a payment on this debt, what state are you in and is it on your credit report?

To answer your basic question, if the debt is beyond the SOL, they can sue you, yes.  But, your defense would be it is beyond the SOL. 

Do not confuse the time limit a negative item stays on your CR and the SOL.  SOLs can run from 3 - 10 years depending on your state.  Negative items stay on your CR 7 years.
Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

As long as you don't show up in court & show that it's out of SOL, they can sue you. They're counting on you not knowing enough to defend yourself. Check your state's SOLs!
Message 3 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

The OC/Lawyer must first take you to court. With the debt being 8-years old I would expect you would have been in court years ago if the OC wanted to lein property or garnish your wages. Your old debt was most likely purchased by a Junk Debt Collector for pennies on the dollar, they will use all types of tactics to get you to pay. This may or may not be the case. If it were me I would do nothing on the debt at this point, you need to check your States SOL on Civil Suits, How many years a OC or CA has to file suit before SOL runs out. If they still are within SOL yes they can sue, if they are out, sit back. If they are in SOL you should research CA/Lawyer, is the Lawyer in your hometown, in Alaska, NY? I doubt they CA is going to spend any more $ to collect an 8-Year Old Debt without knowing they are going to get paid.
Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

You need to check your SOL...I know when I lived in Louisiana...SOL is something like ... 10 YEARS!!!!!
Message 5 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Check your SOL  be sure that it is past SOL.................CRTP is 7 - 7.5 years from DOFD

SOL may reage IF you made any payments after the DOFD
Message 6 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

pawpaw  said:   "How many years a OC or CA has to file suit before SOL runs out.

They have until the SOL is up.
Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.