Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgement

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgement

Currently I have a judgement on my credit report.  It's from an unpaid student loan which is garnished from my paycheck bi weekly.  Is there a way to get this judgement off my credit report and make scheduled payment, rather than a garnished ?

I had done some browsing around the forums but it seemed like the judgements were all settled and looking to be deleted.  My situation is the judgement is still current, been paying it for almost a year now but it's no where close to being paid off. 

I'm under the impressing that these take major hits on our credit score, so I'm interesting in seeing if there are any options out there for me?  Do I contact the original loaners or do I contact the court that has the judgement in place?

Thx

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Re: Judgement

The courts would not be able to help.  They are not the ones who put in on your CR.

Contact who got the judgment against you.   

Message 2 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

I contacted the law first that sent it to the court offices and they said there was absolutly nothing they could do.  Really not sure what more to do with this?  I would love to just pay it off but its a 18K worth of student loans... Smiley Sad( I've been paying it for a year through work garnishments....

Originated @ a College  > Sent to Law firm > sent  to County Clerk office

Any other suggestions or options?  This is probably the single biggest thing hurting my credit.

Message 3 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Nothing they could do or would do?

Since they are the ones that got the judgment and garnished your wages, they are the only ones that could help.

Unless they are willing to help I'm not sure you really have any options.

Message 4 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

They said they have guidelines to follow and it was out of their hands now. 

I'm sure my only option would be to take out a personal loan and pay it that way BUT again getting that loan is the issue due to my bad credit mainly b/c of this judgement.

ETA- Should I try to contact the College where the debt initiated?

Message 5 of 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor

IMO, I would not take out a loan even if I could.  You may pay the judgment off and stop the garnishment but, then you have the loan to pay back.

Plus, the judgment would still remain.

Message 6 of 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I contacted the law first that sent it to the court offices and they said there was absolutly nothing they could do.  Really not sure what more to do with this?  I would love to just pay it off but its a 18K worth of student loans... Smiley Sad( I've been paying it for a year through work garnishments....

@Originated @ a College  > Sent to Law firm > sent  to County Clerk office

Any other suggestions or options?  This is probably the single biggest thing hurting my credit.

I know this isn't what you want to hear, but your chances if making this judgment disappear off your credit reports are pretty much zero.

There is only one entity who can vacate this judgment and this is the court.  There are two ways that you could get a court to vacate a judgment and one is by filing a motion yourself showing where the judgment was improperly obtained -- usually by defective service.  Since you have not mentioned anything about not being aware of the fact that you were being sued way back when, I seriously doubt you would prevail.

The second way involves, basically, getting the judgment creditor to ask the court to vacate the judgment.  The judgment creditor would have to be brain dead to agree to do this as then they have no way to force you to pay.  In fact, from what you've mentioned, the judgment creditor already told you to, although in a rather polite way, to forget about it.

Once the debt is paid, perhaps, but not a sure thing, the judgment creditor would be willing to help.  For now, just worry about getting it paid off and saving yourself interest.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.