Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgements and Collections

tag
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

Judgements and Collections

Need some advice...

Just got done with nearly 3 years of fighting cancer (I won!) and am now trying to deal with all the medical bills that have accumilated. 

I have 27 that are showing up on my credit report.  Thus far I have done great with getting the collection people to agree to remove for payment.  Some are settling for 75% and some are requiring 100% payment to remove.  If they won't remove for 75% but will for 100% I am paying the 100%.  I have had none refuse payment for removal.

I have had 5 judgements filed and granted in the process.  3 of them were for under $200 and I paid them.  I am thinking about filing to have the judgments vacated.  I figured for this small amount the attorneys would not bother to show up.  I will claim I wasn't notified which is the truth.  My ex-husband was probably served or it came in the mail and he never showed me.  One still needs paid (it is for $325).  I am going to offer to pay it if they will vacate.  If they won't vacate I will hold off on paying it and knock out some more of the collections.  Eventually I will pay.  My question is - should I file all the vacates at once or space them out?  2 are in my county and one is in the next county over (where the debt accured). 

The last judgement is a big mess.  They are garnishing my ex-husbands paychecks.  Part of the debt is his and part is my medical bills.  However, not only is the judgement showing up but each individual medical bill is too.  I filed a dispute with Experian saying the debt was double listed.  I receiced notice today that they verified and would not be removing either the individual ones or the judgement.  Can they do this?  Isn't there a clause that says they can't list the same debt twice?

Thanks for any help!!!

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
pizzadude
Credit Mentor

Re: Judgements and Collections

Unfortunately the same bad debt can result in multiple derogatory accounts/tradelines on your reports.    The original account, in addition to one or many collections can report.   Also when you are sued the judgment will be reported as well.

March2010 FICO® ~ 695 TU, 653 EQ, 697 EX
Message 2 of 4
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Before you file a motion to vacate the judgment due to lack of service, I would go to the courthouse, pull a copy of the proceedings, and see how the record shows proper service.  It may have been service by publication.  I would not file a motion based on improper procedure without first knowing the facts.

Message 3 of 4
Kathy4NU
Frequent Contributor

In another thread someone mentioned calling and asking the company to vacate judgment.  I called them this morning and spoke to a very professional lady.  She was firm and said "NO,  You owed the money, we collected."  End of conversation.

I live close to the courthouse and think I will go up and ask how notification was done.  The two judgments in my county are from the same collection agency and were only from 2010 so they have a long time to go before they will fall off.

June '12: EQ 553 TU 0 EX 545
April '13 Lender Pull EQ 731, EX 692, TU 722 - all FICO

Closed on home May 22, 2013 at 2:00pm!!!
CU Visa $1000, VS $350, Chase Freedom $1000, Discover IT $2500, Home Depot: $2700, Menards $3000, NFM $3500
What's been deleted: 32 collections, 5 PR, 2 tax liens, defaulted student loans
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.