Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment from a few years ago.

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Judgment from a few years ago.

I have a judgment from a few years ago on my report still. I checked the online court dockets, and it says "Cause ordered dismissed without prejudice"   

It's two years old. Can I have this taken off? Or should I not bother ??? 

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Judgment from a few years ago.

The case was dismissed because of a procedural error, but the plaintiff can resue you if they wish if it's stil within the SOL.  If I were you I would dispute this by sending a copy of the dismissal to the CRAs, and then I would contact the OC and make arrangements so that you don't get sued in the future.

Message 2 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Since it was dismissed a judgment cannot be reported.

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

It's only showing on one of the Bureaus.  So I think the best option is mail the Bureau?  I will attach the court docket and info.

Message 4 of 13
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Anonymous wrote:

It's only showing on one of the Bureaus.  So I think the best option is mail the Bureau?  I will attach the court docket and info.

Yup, dispute it by mail with that CRA. Send it CMRR

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thank you for the tips!

Message 6 of 13
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

The original post states that the court entered judgment.

That seems to contraduct a dismissal of the case.

Did the court in fact vacate their prior judgment, or was the case dimissed prior to any judgment?

Confusing........

Message 7 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Firstly, did you ever receive a dismissal letter from the court? You likely would have about 6-12 months after the case was originally filed. If you had moved sometime between acquiring the debt and the case, that could explain not receiving any such notice. Also, it's possible that particular court doesn't mail those out or it simply got lost in the mail.

Only one of the links worked briefly. Probably my PCs security settings blocking the site - TinyPic / Photobucket appears an unsafe place to visit unsecured.

Based on the little I could see, considering the CA involved (imho, a slipshod outfit) and the type of court it was filed, my hunch is the case was demissed due to lack of proper service.

Furthermore, based on the CA shown , they likely wouldn't have refiled. But they or another CA possibly could prior to end of SOL, so tread carefully. Once it's well out of SOL, that's the time go on the offensive. Simply dispute it...

Credit bureaus often put minimal effort into verifying a disputed judgement, since that takes time / costs money (3rd party vendors gather such info; courts don't report directly to bureaus), and instead will simply delete it. In your situation, regardless, the judgement should be removed, since the case was dismissed; no judgement entered.

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I had my Bankruptcy discharged in Dec 2013. This was filed in July 2013.  I looked into this Judgment, and it had my father's address, which I have never in my life lived at.

We do share the same name,.

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.