cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Judgment statue of limitations for Colorado?

tag
SP1200
New Visitor

Judgment statue of limitations for Colorado?

Does anyone know the statue of limitations for a judgment for Colorado?  A judgment for $937 was reported on my credit profile on July 1st, 2007.  And I don't believe it was mine.  I typed in the case number on the City of Denver website and it said "Damag" and I am assuming it means damage of some kind.  And it's a civil case.  So I called the city of Denver and they said that I can request copies of the judgment for .25 cents a copy.   And the lady said that they do not verify social security numbers.  Is that even legal?  Well, I am 3rd, after my father and grandfather, and this kind of stuff has happened before.  So it could be my father's doing.  I have sent him 7 emails and he hasn't responded.  I am sure it's my old man then.  Thanks, dad.   So I will be waiting for a copy of the judgment in the mail to see the details of the summons and complaint.  The judgment is getting old, and at 6 years, 3 months,8 days, I am wondering if it will be falling off soon.  I looked at the Statue of Limitations for normal debts and it's 4 years in California and 6 years in Colorado.  But that's just for normal debts.  Does anyone ACTUALLY know? Like really know?

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-state-statute-limitations-1282.php

Should I get a credit attorney?

Thanks,

newb

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
thom02099
Valued Contributor

Re: Judgment statue of limitations for Colorado?

@SP1200 wrote:

Does anyone know the statue of limitations for a judgment for Colorado?  A judgment for $937 was reported on my credit profile on July 1st, 2007.  And I don't believe it was mine.  I typed in the case number on the City of Denver website and it said "Damag" and I am assuming it means damage of some kind.  And it's a civil case.  So I called the city of Denver and they said that I can request copies of the judgment for .25 cents a copy.   And the lady said that they do not verify social security numbers.  Is that even legal?  Well, I am 3rd, after my father and grandfather, and this kind of stuff has happened before.  So it could be my father's doing.  I have sent him 7 emails and he hasn't responded.  I am sure it's my old man then.  Thanks, dad.   So I will be waiting for a copy of the judgment in the mail to see the details of the summons and complaint.  The judgment is getting old, and at 6 years, 3 months,8 days, I am wondering if it will be falling off soon.  I looked at the Statue of Limitations for normal debts and it's 4 years in California and 6 years in Colorado.  But that's just for normal debts.  Does anyone ACTUALLY know? Like really know?

http://www.creditcards.com/credit-card-news/credit-card-state-statute-limitations-1282.php

Should I get a credit attorney?

Thanks,

newb

An initial/free consultation with an attorney may be in your best interest, particularly if there's an identity question to be determined regarding the debt. 

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Judgment statue of limitations for Colorado?

Something in the judgment is being used to identify you as the consumer.  If a II'd or II'rd, that amy be the case, but I would scour the judgment for any identifiers that show you are not the party identified in the judgment.  A letter from dad admitting himself to have been the defandant would certainly help.  Identification of the defendent's correspondence address?  Name of the atty, if any, who represented the defendant, which you could use to contact them and get their support in correcting the record?

Some info that you can clearly show as not relating to you......

I would start by sending all documentation to the judgment court, along with showing of its presence in your credit report as evidence of harm of the unclearness of the judgment, and ask them to remedy their posting

Statute of limitations on enforcement of a judgment will be set forth in the statute and rules of court procedure relating to judgments on debt.  Some legal research needed.

However, the judgment creditor can usually get the enforceability of a judgment extended by notification to the court of its continued non-satisfaction, so whatever date is no running most likely wont become an absolute expiration of enforceability.

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.