cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Junk Debt Collector?

Estimate your FICO® Score range for free

FICO® Score Estimator

Auto Loans for ANY Credit Situation. Immediate Response.
Advertiser disclosure
Established Contributor

Junk Debt Collector?

I just received an email about a debt from HSNI LLC which i googled and it says HSN. The debt collector is ATG Credit and they claim I owe them 299.97. The original account was for 1687 which they sold to portfolio recovery and I paid in February for 1387 which is less than full balance. Now this company is claiming I owe basically the remainder for this account but I settled this account. Portfolio stated on the receipt they gave me that my account would be considered paid in full for less than full balance. I defaulted on this account in 2017 so it is still within the reporting period. Will ATG credit be able to report the remaining balance to my credit report even though I don’t technically owe anything?

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Established Contributor

Re: Junk Debt Collector?

I would watch out for ATG because they will lie and say you owe something and more. I emailed them in reference to the collection notice they emailed me and Holly claimed i owed HSN and I could contact HSN who would let me know that I do actually owe them after I asked for debt validation. Then I told her I already have a letter stated who owns the account and it was not them. Then she tells me that I’m correct they don’t own the account AIG does so I replied stated that is not what HSN has said. So she tells me that its “not the same account” but yet it is the same creditor and the exact difference of the amount I settled for on that account. Shady business I would definitely confirm any debt with the original creditor who you have one with them.

Message 2 of 7
Senior Contributor

If it was a e-mail. I'd ignore it. Could be a phishing scam. When you paid Portfolio they didnt delete the collection per company policy from your credit reports?

My posts are JMHO. I DO NOT claim to be a FICO expert. Just sharing my experiences from rebuild to recovery after BK DC. My siggy is not to brag at all. Just to show fellow members what can be accomplished when you do it right and play the FICO Credit Game.
Message 3 of 7

You have a paid letter from PRA, that is the end of it. If these people report it I would proceed to a lawsuit for damages under the FDCPA and FCRA. Its 1K for each violation.

"If there's a lack of money in your life, understand that feeling worried, envious, jealous, disappointed, discouraged, doubtful or fearful about money can never bring more money to you, because those feelings come from a lack of gratitude for the money you have."

"Reactions are powerful creators because they contain every element needed to manifest—they're a combination of thought, belief, and feeling in action. Positive reactions create more positive things, and negative reactions create more negative things. If you can respond to negative situations calmly and lightly, instead of with emotional turbulence, what happens next in your life will be so much better."

- Rhonda Byrne

Message 4 of 7
Established Contributor

@FireMedic1 wrote:

If it was a e-mail. I'd ignore it. Could be a phishing scam. When you paid Portfolio they didnt delete the collection per company policy from your credit reports?

They deleted it in march and I even goodwilled comenity and march and they sent me a letter stating portfolio owned the account so I would need to speak to them.

Message 5 of 7
Valued Contributor

I had a HSN Card that went to collections and charged off and was sold to midland funding   

I also got a letter from HSNI  this was from my FLEXPAY that was defaulted... and never made it to my HSN Card 

Family Member made me an AU on: 2008 Sears MC $2,001, 2016 SEARS Store Card $2,001, 2011 Synchrony Home $5,500 , 2003 FNBO Visa $9,900, 2008 Macys Amex $1900, 2008 Kohls $2,000, 2008 JC Penny $4,500, 2016 TJX Mastercard $1,500, 2019 SDFCU PowerCash Visa $10,000, 2018 AAdvantage Aviator MC $5,600, 2018 HSN $4,500, and 2016 Local Credit Union Visa $5,000. Waiting on them to all report over the next month... Only Kohls is reporting so far... WITH AGE. They use AZEO method.

Member of:
Andrews FCU (Share), PENFED CU (Checking/Share), SDFCU (Share), Alliant CU (Checking/Share), NASA FCU (Share), NWFCU (Checking/Share), Ally Bank (Checking/Savings), BofA (Checking/Share), Navigant CU (Share), Greenwood CU (Share), Elements Financial CU (Share), Ocean State CU (Share), SDFCU (Share), Wells Fargo (Checking), RI Credit Union (Share), CashApp, PayPal Premier (for free direct deposit access with cash card), Paypal Business - Grandfathered 1.5% Cash Back on Biz Debit), Apple Pay Cash, and Venmo.

I WANT to join: Hanscom FCU (For the 2 day early direct deposit).

Burned:
DCU, NFCU, Comenity, Synchrony, Barclays, Discover, Amex, Webbank (Avant), Santander, Citi (Shell), DSNB (Macys), TDRCS (Target+Nordstrom), Capital One (Personal & Business, Kohls, and GM), CreditFirst(Firestone)
Message 6 of 7
Established Contributor

@MyDataMyChoice wrote:

I had a HSN Card that went to collections and charged off and was sold to midland funding   

I also got a letter from HSNI  this was from my FLEXPAY that was defaulted... and never made it to my HSN Card 

Well i called HSN personally as she suggested and they stated I had no balance with flexpay or credit card plus what she is claiming I owe is the exact difference of the settlement i made with portfolio which tells me it was charged to my credit card and I already settled on it. They also have a address I haven’t been at for 2 years and HSN has my new address and has had my new address a little over a year which is why I don’t believe them at all.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.