cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just because a debt is not on your CR, does that mean it won't be found?

tag
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

Just because a debt is not on your CR, does that mean it won't be found?

When I had my surgery several years ago, I was seen by many doctors and I accumulated many bills.  Some went to collections, some were written off, and some are outstanding but not being reported.

In a few months, I will be paying off the last collection account from my CR as I was told the account will be removed from my report once paid in full.  So at that time, I will have no more negative accounts other than the late payments from my student loans.

I still have several medical offices that send me an outstanding bill in the mail from services in 2010.  These bills were never reported to the credit agencies and they are not on my report. 

Will anybody every find out about them when I try to apply for a mortgage or some other big loan?

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Just because a debt is not on your CR, does that mean it won't be found?

If they simply ask if you have any old, unpaid delinquent debt, you have an obligation to be forthcoming.

Even if they should not ask, if you are in the middle of an app process and an old creditor reports, it could be a show-stopper.

You can choose to rely upon either non-reporting or credit report exclusion of adverse information to shield knowledge, but at your peril.

Message 2 of 23
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@RobertEG wrote:

If they simply ask if you have any old, unpaid delinquent debt, you have an obligation to be forthcoming.

Even if they should not ask, if you are in the middle of an app process and an old creditor reports, it could be a show-stopper.

You can choose to rely upon either non-reporting or credit report exclusion of adverse information to shield knowledge, but at your peril.

+1

And CAs have a nasty tendency to pop up during the mortgage process.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 3 of 23
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

My next question is after the seven years, the outstanding debt really is not an issue anymore right?  Because they cannot report it to the CB's.

Message 4 of 23
ktm214
Frequent Contributor

It is an issue because it is not paid. However it will not be reported. From what I understand, if you apply for a mortgage over $150k, they MAY do a manual pull and see that unpaid collection.
Message 5 of 23
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

What is a manual pull?

If the debt from a doctor's office is not reported, how can they find it?

Message 6 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

Outstanding debt is always an issue.  It may not be reported on your CR or you cannot be sued because the SOL in your state has expired but, the CA can continue collection activity forever.

And yes, when applyng for a mortgage, no matter the amount, you are obligated to disclose unpaid debt.  If the amount is $150,000 or more the lender has the option to request your entire credit file which may show the debt.

Message 7 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

You would be surprised as to what may pop up on your reports when applying for a mortgage.  It seems they come out of the woodwork.

It isn't a manual pull.  The lenders can request your entire credit history, it is rare but they can.

Message 8 of 23
danny4l
Frequent Contributor

"entire credit file"

What is that?

I thought your CR from the three bureaus is your entire credit file?

Message 9 of 23
guiness56
Epic Contributor

No, that is your credit report which some still refer to as your file.

When something is excluded for age it does not simply disappear, never to be seen again.  Everything you have ever had, creditwise, is kept in your credit file.

Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.