cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just discovered a medical debt referred to a CA; SOL has run

tag
newtoallthis

Just discovered a medical debt referred to a CA; SOL has run

I'm new here.  I've read the threads here on medical debt and understand that it's treated differently from ordinary debt - but I don't know how.  

I recently obtained my credit reports, and one of them shows a very old medical debt that was referred to collection years ago (DOFD = 5/2005).  The SOL has expired.  

If I wait until 11/2012 (7.5 years from DOFD), will this automatically disappear from my credit report (as a non-medical debt would)?  If not, is it possible to do something like a PFD?  If answers like that can't be provided here, could someone suggest the google search terms I would need to find answers on my own?

Thanks.

Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Just discovered a medical debt referred to a CA; SOL has run

@newtoallthis wrote:

I'm new here.  I've read the threads here on medical debt and understand that it's treated differently from ordinary debt - but I don't know how.  

I recently obtained my credit reports, and one of them shows a very old medical debt that was referred to collection years ago (DOFD = 5/2005).  The SOL has expired.  

If I wait until 11/2012 (7.5 years from DOFD), will this automatically disappear from my credit report (as a non-medical debt would)?  If not, is it possible to do something like a PFD?  If answers like that can't be provided here, could someone suggest the google search terms I would need to find answers on my own?

Thanks.

Hello and welcome.

A collection is a collection and the CRTP (Credit Reporting Time Period) is the same for each. This will go away in the same amount of time as any other kind of collection.

Message 2 of 3
newtoallthis

Re: Just discovered a medical debt referred to a CA; SOL has run

@MarineVietVet wrote:

Hello and welcome.

A collection is a collection and the CRTP (Credit Reporting Time Period) is the same for each. This will go away in the same amount of time as any other kind of collection.

Thank you (and thanks for your service).

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.