cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Just got letter from collection agency. Not showing on reports yet. What to do?

tag
PerArduaAdAstra
Valued Member

Just got letter from collection agency. Not showing on reports yet. What to do?

A measly $40 that I have no idea why my old auto insurance is saying I owe it. But my reports are finally clean and I am FREAKING out about this getting reported. The letter is dated a few days ago and a update on my report today shows it is still not reported yet.

How do I pay this and make sure it is not reported?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Tuscani
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Just got letter from collection agency. Not showing on reports yet. What to do?

Since it is $40, pay and get something in writing that it will not be added to your reports before making the payment.. Since it has not it likely would never at this point but cover yourself just in case. Smiley Happy  

Message 2 of 5
PerArduaAdAstra
Valued Member

Re: Just got letter from collection agency. Not showing on reports yet. What to do?

Thanks for the reply. This is my first time negotiating direclty with a collection agency. When I call them they will be ready and willing to give me something in writing that it will not be added to my reports if I PIF? Should I be prepared to be told no or jump through hoops?

Message 3 of 5
Remedios
Credit Mentor

@PerArduaAdAstra wrote:

Thanks for the reply. This is my first time negotiating direclty with a collection agency. When I call them they will be ready and willing to give me something in writing that it will not be added to my reports if I PIF? Should I be prepared to be told no or jump through hoops?

They may or they may not. Deleting correct reporting is against CRA's policy, so a lot of collection agencies shy away from providing anything in writing. Others do not care, and will publicly post it on their websites. 

Just offer them payment in exchange for not reporting and see what they say 

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Make them a "pay for not reporting" offer, where you agree to pay in exchange for their agreement not to report a collection to any CRA.

If they agree, you have an enfoceable contract provision once you then pay the agreed amount

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.