Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Keep getting pulled back down!

tag
ReEducationOfAnEgoiste
New Contributor

Keep getting pulled back down!

Hello everyone
Here's the story, I just built up my credit score with my new credit rebuilding strategy from the low 500 to about 621 and added cards that help show a higher credit limit so I will have low utilization. So in total I have four cards. Originally only two was showing and now the third just showed and my credit score dropped back down to about 591.

So my question is, how long would it be before my credit score go back up or how bad will it be when the fourth one finally post?

Starting Score: 525
Current Score:EX 685 TU 680 EQ 735
Goal Score: 750

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

17 REPLIES 17
dynamicvb
Valued Contributor

Re: Keep getting pulled back down!

What are the limits and utilization of all your cards? What is your average age of accounts and the age of your oldest account? One of these areas is likely the cause of the drop.

Started Rebuild 4/2018: EX 616| TU 604| EQ 621

Current 5/28/20:

First Goal Score: 750+ Reached 3/2019

Next Goal all over 800
Message 2 of 18
ReEducationOfAnEgoiste
New Contributor

Since I am very recently back to rebuilding my credit all my limits are quite low. Two of my cards are secured cards and the other two are from the old ShoppingCartTrick.

Discover secured card ($500 SL) is the first one.

The second is a Capital One secured card ($200 SL), which hasn't even post to my report yet.

The last two are an Express card ($500 SL), then newest Victoria's Secret ($250 SL).

The first three all get use, and by time they post only show zeros but for one which shows about 5% utilization.

Victoria's Secret is so new I haven't received it yet, it's just showing on my credit report now.

Average age of accounts is now one month because of VS, AoOA is 5 months.
No more new apps for me for quite a while I know, but this 30-point drop on my TransUnion which is my best is so painful.

I guess it's a case of too much to fast.

Message 3 of 18
ReEducationOfAnEgoiste
New Contributor

No!
It looks like my scores dropped even more. 😭
TU 590
EQ 577

Message 4 of 18
radfam
Frequent Contributor

What website are you getting your scores from? TU and EQ only makes me think Credit Karma.
Fico 8 as of 03/09/2023:

Message 5 of 18
ReEducationOfAnEgoiste
New Contributor

@radfam
Yes, getting from CK, as well as a few other spots but yes they are all Vantage scores. Fico says I don't have enough history for their score.

Message 6 of 18
Anonymous
Not applicable

@ReEducationOfAnEgoiste wrote:

If your oldest account is 5 months, then it seems to me that in five months from now, ALL your cards will be at least five months. How can the scores NOT go up then? It sounds like only a matter of time and things will be righted.

Enjoy your new cards and do what you're doing now! You're doing great!

And I can tell you, Credit Karma's scores can be wildly inaccurate. My Equifax FICO is 634, but Credit Karma says it's something like 580 or something. I've also noticed CK's scores sometimes going up and down over things that don't cause my FICO to budge even an inch. Sometimes CK's score changes can indicate a similar change in FICO, but other times they're meaningless. 

Message 7 of 18
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Since I am very recently back to rebuilding my credit all my limits are quite low. Two of my cards are secured cards and the other two are from the old ShoppingCartTrick.

Discover card ($500 SL) is the first one.

The second is Capital One card ($200 SL), which hasn't even post to my report yet.

The last two are an Express card ($500 SL), then newest Victoria's Secret ($250 SL).

The first three all get use, and by time they post only show zeros but for one which shows about 5% utilization.

Victoria's Secret is so new I haven't received it yet, it's just showing on my credit report now.

No more new apps for me for quite a while I know, but this 30-point drop on my TransUnion which is my best is so painful.

I guess it's a case of too much to fast.Yep

You've got 4 cards in a short period and that taking its toll on you. Too many inq's probably did you in the same timeframe. Its time to let them grow. Your doing great practicing AZEO. For now no more apps. If you do not have a installment loan. Self Lender would be a good thing to do and that will raise your score. Once you past AAoA of 2 yrs, nice score boost. So its time to garden and no more apps.

You can do the SP CLI with Disco. (if its not secured) After 3 statements with Cap1 you also can ask for a SP CLI and in 5 months credit steps will kick in. So for now enjoy what you got and in time better things will come your way. Good Luck!

Message 8 of 18
xaximus
Valued Contributor

The only thing you need now really is time. With time and history of paying your cards off - your scores will only go one way - up. Keep doing what you are doing now and you'll see the fruits of your labor soon. Remember, credit is not a race, it's a marathon.

Scores - All bureaus 770 +
TCL - Est. $410K
Message 9 of 18
GApeachy
Super Contributor

I guess it's a case of too much to fast.

It's okay, you got the ball rolling now....they will age together. As already said, Scores will bounce back with positive reporting.  I did the same thing, scores took a dive initally, some good tl's starting to fall off so I pulled the trigger and now I'm just gonna garden.  By the time my last good tl's fall off these will have aged a couple of years and start to fill in the cracks.   I felt like it's now or never almost.   At least all the hp's will fall off together.  We should be sitting pretty in a couple of years.

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 10 of 18
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.