Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Kohl's charge issues.... 12 buck of late payment by mistake goes a long way

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Kohl's charge issues.... 12 buck of late payment by mistake goes a long way

4 years from original post and i can repeat the same history. Wify spent 12 bucks for something n forgot to mention. 5+ years of good history. 59.9 days late for once . Kohls dont give  about their customers.Dont know how much of hit on credit hit will it be.... Actually its capital one bank now. I hv proof that payment was made on 60th day but didnt go thru their system till 61st. Shud i close the account as i really care less about a dept store who doesnt really care to listen to their customers.....(i went thru mail n didnt find their statement either)

Message 1 of 9
8 REPLIES 8
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Kohl's charge issues.... 12 buck of late payment by mistake goes a long way

I'd keep it open and use once every 6-12 months or so. It's harder to remove a late on a closed account than it is an open account by which you're giving them money every so often.

Message 2 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Your issue is handled under the Fair Credit Billing Act.

The FCBA requires payments to be posted on the date received, and provides a dispute process for billing issues.

A dispute of billing must normally be made within 60 days of the asserted billing error.

What is the billing date?

Check out the FTC web page for a summary of FCBA rights.

Message 3 of 9
marty56
Super Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

The FCBA requires payments to be posted on the date received, and provides a dispute process for billing issues.

How come many CCCs say that payments must be received by a certian time of day to be processed on that day.

1/25/2021: FICO 850 EQ 848 TU 847 EX
Message 4 of 9
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Yes, the FCBA does include the additional proviso that payment must be received by, I believe, 5PM to be entitled to that date of receipt.

Message 5 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

They are bad about sticking you with late fees.  Payment due date was 7/8 Sunday and payment was transfer on 7/9 (can't make a electronic payment on weekend) and they hit me with a $25.00 late fee. I don't need their credit that bad. Cancelled the card.

Message 6 of 9
Anonymous
Not applicable

It is Oct 2012 and I am in a similar situation.  Made a $37 purchase in June, was switched to paperless bills without my consent/knowledge, did not receive any bills (paper or electronic), and was immediately reported to credit agencies when my payment was late.  I received a collections notice in the mail, promptly paid the bill, late fees and interest, but Kohls is refusing to consider amending my credit.  Yes, partly my fault b/c I should have followed up with Kohls when I did not receive a bill.  But...I think in this case Kohls is partly to blame as well and the punishment does not fit the crime! :-) I dropped from a 790 to a 725...I am sick over this.  Never a late payment on any account for 14 years....I cannot believe this!  Please let me know if any specific avenue w/ Kohls worked for you.  I have tried the following:  calls to Kohls customer service, calls to Kohls credit councelling, personal letters to their Milwauke address, personal letters to the manager of the store where purchase was made, posting on facebook, and next I plan to file a dispute with the 3 credit bureaus.  Thanks!

Message 7 of 9
GregB
Valued Contributor

PC-Mom,

Disputing correct info with the CRAs will be a big mistake.

Kohls credit is Chase or CapOne so the store doesn't have much to do with it.

Best plan is probably ask nicely for a one time GW.

Message 8 of 9
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

+1   A GW is probably your best route.  Get one in the mail, see what they say.  Good Luck!

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 9 of 9
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.