cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LVNV

tag

LVNV

A LVNV outsourced CA has been on me for some time to settle a $1700.00 C/O. After reading these forums I realized that I had not received a letter stating what I owed. The CA made me a settlement offer several months ago just under the amount owed. As I didn't have the money at the time, I let him know and refused the offer. I called back 10 days ago and offered $650.00 to close. He said that he would not consider it because I refused his last offer. He then came back with a settlement higher than the one he made a few months back and refused to budge. I again refused. I sent a DV letter ( a template from this site) directly to LVNV that day. About four days ago he called and said they would settle for 50%, but said they already verified the debt and would send out nothing more. I am able to pay the full 1700.00 without trouble, but until I visited this site I had no idea that scammers could get this info and initiate unauthorized collections. So I would first like to thank all for the wealth of information and then to ask if I am making the right decision to hold out? As I understand it LVNV is an established company and although their tactics are questionable, they are legit. The CA refused, by the way, even to consider a PFD for the full amount. Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
guiness56
Epic Contributor
Message 2 of 8

Re: LVNV

They didn't. I never received a letter. The thing that struck me as suspicious is that they refused to settle for less that the original amount after I declined their offer. Now, 10 days after I sent a follow up DV, they call out of the blue offering 50% of the original debt.

Message 3 of 8
guiness56
Epic Contributor

LVNV is very problematic.  Many, many have filed complaints with the BBB for inaccurate reporting etc.

When did you first find out about them?

Message 4 of 8

I began getting calls from a CA, but didn't know about LVNV until I pulled a CR 30 days back. I also noticed that the OC is reporting debt is sold, but still has a balance of $110.00 and it is listed as past due. If they sold the debt, wouldn't the TL show a C/O with $0 balance? On a similar note, would it be worth while to PFD the OC for the full balance, or is too late for that? I neither confirmed or denied to the CA that the debt was mine ( long, typical divorce story) but they refused to even entertain a PFD for 100% of what is owed. I have no problem paying the debt, I just want to make sure that they are the ones contracted to collect.

Message 5 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

If the OC sold the debt outright, they should have zeroed out the amount.  If only assigned, they can report a balance.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 6 of 8
rbon
New Contributor

LVNV is nasty to deal with. I saw them appear on my credit report roughly 18 months ago. I knew that I didn't open the account they were talking about. I filed a complaint with the credit bureaus and one told me to call LVNV for proof of the debt. Well, I was stupid and gave them my address (not phone) and since there was no acct listed, had to give them my social to even look up the account. Well, they used this information as "verifying a valid debt" with the credit bureaus even though they could provide me no proof of the original credit application or any statements. I was so mad! I fought and fought them via the credit bureaus until it essentially fell off my report abut 6 months ago due to it being an aged account. I received something about 2 months after it fell off from a law firm, but they could not provide proof of the valid debt either.

Anytime I see LVNV on here, I shudder from the awful experience I had with them.

Message 7 of 8
Shogun
Moderator Emeritus

@rbon wrote:

LVNV is nasty to deal with. I saw them appear on my credit report roughly 18 months ago. I knew that I didn't open the account they were talking about. I filed a complaint with the credit bureaus and one told me to call LVNV for proof of the debt. Well, I was stupid and gave them my address (not phone) and since there was no acct listed, had to give them my social to even look up the account. Well, they used this information as "verifying a valid debt" with the credit bureaus even though they could provide me no proof of the original credit application or any statements. I was so mad! I fought and fought them via the credit bureaus until it essentially fell off my report abut 6 months ago due to it being an aged account. I received something about 2 months after it fell off from a law firm, but they could not provide proof of the valid debt either.

Anytime I see LVNV on here, I shudder from the awful experience I had with them.

You should have filled out a police report and a fraud affadavit and sent it to the CRAs and to LVNV.

Starting Score: 504
July 2013 score:
EQ FICO 819, TU08 778, EX "806 lender pull 07/26/2013
Goal Score: All Scores 760+, Newest goal 800+
Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Current scores after adding $81K in CLs and 2 new cars since July 2013
EQ:809 TU 777 EX 790 Now it's just garden time!

June 2017 update: All scores over 820, just pure gardening now.
Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.