cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

LabCorp & Radius Global Solutions collections - PFD? How to remove

tag
Person76

LabCorp & Radius Global Solutions collections - PFD? How to remove

Hoping that someone here has some advice on the situation. A collection for $70 just showed up on my credit report. It tanked my score from 800 to almost 700. Ouch. This is for testing fees from last February (2020) with LabCorp. I had no idea this fee existed otherwise I would have paid it, but (maybe?) it's my fault for missing the mailers. I certainly never saw them. Radius Global Solutions LLC is listed as the collection agent; it sounds like LabCorp 'owns' the debt though. I called Radius and asked what my options are to PFD. They said LabCorp owns the debt so the best they can do is mark paid in full. LabCorp said they will only delete the debt if there was an error. Insurance tells me there was no error in the reimbursement amount.

Any suggestions on my best course of action to make this go away? Paying isn't a problem, but I want to do this the right/smart way. Thanks in advance for any wise advice!

Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: LabCorp & Radius Global Solutions collections - PFD? How to remove

Medical collections are some of the easiest to get removed from your CRs, here are the steps that you should follow to address them:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, (or-rebilled), collections ultimately paid by insurance get removed per new rules that came from CRAs settlement with 22 state AGs. If not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3. ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help, this process cannot be discussed in any forum of myFico.

Message 2 of 6
Person76

Thanks Gdale6 - should asking the OC to rebill insurance always be done? Or only if you're certain that insurance paid the wrong amount?  Just wondering if there is some benefit and by asking them to rebill something happens in the process that might make the collection drop off temporarily and give me a window to pay.

Message 3 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@Person76 wrote:

Thanks Gdale6 - should asking the OC to rebill insurance always be done? Or only if you're certain that insurance paid the wrong amount?  Just wondering if there is some benefit and by asking them to rebill something happens in the process that might make the collection drop off temporarily and give me a window to pay.

Only if there was an issue with it being billed the first time, of course if you were not insured then you would not ask that and start with asking about charity care. The reason to ask if you have insurance is if it gets paid by them then the collection is gone per the settlement with the CRAs and 22 states a few years ago, collections in states that didnt sign on to the suit are also gone if insurance pays.

Message 4 of 6
jadeaznangel
Established Member

The reason to ask if you have insurance is if it gets paid by them then the collection is gone per the settlement with the CRAs and 22 states a few years ago, collections in states that didnt sign on to the suit are also gone if insurance pays.

@gdale6 I think I've asked regarding this before, the 22 states and insurance paying. If there is a deductible or copay that they're sending to collections, how does this play out? I don't understand the generic medical collections checklist I'm seeing being dropped on every medical collection question, and I'm pretty well versed in medical billing. Is there a resource we/I can refer to in order to get more in-depth information such as what states are included and what the guidelines are on what is and isn't allowed? I've asked before but I don't get more answers outside of the copy and paste.

@Person76  Please let me know if you make any progress with RGS. I'm basically in the same situation, but it was a billing issue that prolonged with Quest Diagnostics where when it was finally processed, it was sent to my old address and I had already moved. I called to talk to RGS regarding the same thing, PFD, willing to pay in full on the spot, only to get the same response. That they don't do that in their company policy and that they can only mark it paid. So frustrating when most CA's are willing to remove medical collections due to the complicated nature and circumstances of why they end up in collections. I have called the OC and they are frustrating to deal with, with no real billing department. I hope Lab Corp is a bit easier to speak to, but make sure they are able to recall the debt if you pay LabCorp so it takes the authority to collect away from RGS again.

Message 5 of 6
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@jadeaznangel wrote:

The reason to ask if you have insurance is if it gets paid by them then the collection is gone per the settlement with the CRAs and 22 states a few years ago, collections in states that didnt sign on to the suit are also gone if insurance pays.

@gdale6 I think I've asked regarding this before, the 22 states and insurance paying. If there is a deductible or copay that they're sending to collections, how does this play out? I don't understand the generic medical collections checklist I'm seeing being dropped on every medical collection question, and I'm pretty well versed in medical billing. Is there a resource we/I can refer to in order to get more in-depth information such as what states are included and what the guidelines are on what is and isn't allowed? I've asked before but I don't get more answers outside of the copy and paste.

Copay you would use the steps I outlined above, all states are included as the suits were against the CRAs. You can read the settlement here

https://ag.ny.gov/press-release/2015/ag-schneiderman-announces-groundbreaking-consumer-protection-se...

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.