cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Last payment in January 2014. The statute of limitation is 6 years. Is that in Jan or Feb 2020?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Last payment in January 2014. The statute of limitation is 6 years. Is that in Jan or Feb 2020?

Hello guys

I stopped Paying CapitalOne on JAN 15, 2014. My next bill was in Feb 15, 2014. The statute of limitation in my state is 6 years. So when will I be able to start searching for a house without being sued? January 2020? or February 2020?

Thanks!

Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: Last payment in January 2014. The statute of limitation is 6 years. Is that in Jan or Feb 2020?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello guys

I stopped Paying CapitalOne on JAN 15, 2014. My next bill was in Feb 15, 2014. The statute of limitation in my state is 6 years. So when will I be able to start searching for a house without being sued? January 2020? or February 2020?

Thanks!

Its typically calculated from the accounts DoFD which is the first occurence of a delinquency. To be safe I would verify what the DoFD actually is and then add 2 months to it. Welcome to myFico Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

Re: Last payment in January 2014. The statute of limitation is 6 years. Is that in Jan or Feb 2020?

@Anonymous wrote:

Hello guys

Thanks!

TransUnion reports usually tell you when items fall off. If you haven’t gotten your free annual credit report I would get it and it will tell you.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 3 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

A state SOL definition has two major components.  First is when the period begins, and second is its length.

The date that the period begins varies under each state statute, and can be the date of initial default (often called the cause of action), the date of last payment, or even a firm offer to pay.

What is the event that begins the SOL tolling period in your state statute?

SOL statutes usually require that civil action be initiated within the stated period, the SOL would expire after the stated number of years.

If the period began, for example, in January, it would normally expire beginning the following February.

Message 4 of 5
Caardvark
Frequent Contributor

Worth noting, while you cannot be sued once the SOL has passed, most mortgage lenders are going to require the debt be paid; regardless of the SOL. 

That said, it is still wiser to wait until the SOL has expired before you try and settle because:

• Your negotiating leverage is higher
  • Not worth waking a sleeping dog and have them realize the SOL hasn't expired

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.