Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late Payment Fall off Date

tag
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

Late Payment Fall off Date

Howdy all, have a question I can't find a clear answer to.

I have a prior closed account with Honda Financial Services that has roughly 9 30 day lates reporting.

I understand the rule for charge off accounts falling off your report roughly 7 years after the DOFD, but how does that apply to a closed, paid off account such as the one I have with Honda?

The first 30 day late was in September of 2014, and as mentioned, an additional 8 lates were reported up until 2016 when it was paid off in full. The last late reported was in February of 2016.

I guess what I'm asking is will I have to wait 7 years from each 30 day late for the late to fall off, or is the entire series of lates connected to the first late that was reported.....hopefully that question makes sense.

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Late Payment Fall off Date

@DebtJoe wrote:

Howdy all, have a question I can't find a clear answer to.

I have a prior closed account with Honda Financial Services that has roughly 9 30 day lates reporting.

I understand the rule for charge off accounts falling off your report roughly 7 years after the DOFD, but how does that apply to a closed, paid off account such as the one I have with Honda?

The first 30 day late was in September of 2014, and as mentioned, an additional 8 lates were reported up until 2016 when it was paid off in full. The last late reported was in February of 2016.

I guess what I'm asking is will I have to wait 7 years from each 30 day late for the late to fall off, or is the entire series of lates connected to the first late that was reported.....hopefully that question makes sense.

It does make sense. Are the lates all connected back to back? I doubt it if there are 9 between 2014-2016, you would have needed 15 lates, at a minimum, for it to be a single string between 2014 and ending in 2/2016.

I believe 2 of 3 CBs (TU & EQ) fall off individually, 1 at a time, as they hit 7 years, even strings of lates. I know fully how badly this sux.

I could be wrong regarding this next bit, as I am waiting to find out myself next month, but it is possible that EX drops strings of lates as long as they are all connected together and each string drops off all at once, but only when the first in the string hits 7 years old. The next string will drop off when that first late hits 7 years old. If they are split up into seperate strings, no, they will not all fall off together when the very first late in a string hits 7 years old. Each string's first late has to hit 7 years old.

If it had closed as a negative/derog account and it was the first late of a string that led to the end of the account being a derog, the whole TL would drop at 7 years old, but since it is a positive account at closing (you paid it off before it was CO'd - reports "paid as agreed"), that will not happen in this case.

I have had many lates fall off, unfortunately at the time I did not pay attention to how or exactly when, but searching the forums, this seems to be the case for many.

You cannot EE lates, so that is not a choice, either, unfortunately.

The 1 late in 2014 will drop in 2021. The ones from 2015-2016 will drop all or one at a time, depending on the CB, in 2022-2023. I am assuming this is how the 9 lates you have are broken up.

I can update this post when I find out next month how the 3Bs drop lates when there are a string of them, as I have several accounts (multiple SLs with a single servicer), each with strings of 9 lates that I am watching like a hawk to see if individual lates or strings of lates drop at 7 years.

Good luck!

Message 2 of 6
DebtJoe
Regular Contributor

Meh, that's what I figured. I've tried good-willing multiple times to no avail, so it looks like Honda is gonna haunt me for the next 3 years at least.

8/1/2018 FICO Scores:

6/29/2021 FICO Scores:
Message 3 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

@DebtJoe wrote:

Meh, that's what I figured. I've tried good-willing multiple times to no avail, so it looks like Honda is gonna haunt me for the next 3 years at least.

all you have is time between now anf then, so it doesnt hurt to keep at it!

I will keep you posted if I notice strings drop off on more than Bureau next month. Then that might mean 2022 for you instead of 2023!

Good luck and sorry there wasnt better news right now!

Message 4 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

one other thing. I believe you said they were all 30d lates? Those tend to fade in scoring penalty as time passes. While I understand you have 9 of them, I would think as the number of them decrease, you should still see score increases. Many have said that they only had a single 30d late fall off and saw no score gains. This is probably because they had already faded in their scoring affects. So that is still something to look forward to!

Message 5 of 6
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

LaHossBoss is correct.

The FCRA does not explicitly include, under the exclusion section in 605(a), monthly delinquencies as a specific ttype of adverse item of information, and thus does not provide clear statement of when the exclusion period begins.

Monthly delinquencies thus are covered under the general, cath-all provisions of section 605(a)(5), which sets an exclusion period of 7 years, but since it is a general provision that covers "any other adverse item of information," does not provide a specific definition of the start date of the 7 years.  It is thus subject to interpretation by each CRA.

EX provdes detailed discussion of its interpretation of the exclusion of monthly delinquencies on its web page, while the other two CRAs do not.  EX excludes all delinquencies in a common chain once the chain of delinquencies reaches 7 years from the date of first delinquency, while the other two treat each delinquency as having its own 7 year exclusion period.

Until the diverse interpretations reach an appellate court and are reviewed by the courts, the diverse interpretations are legally proper.

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.