Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Late payments

tag
Effielin
New Contributor

Late payments

I had a mortgage with BOA.. in August 2011 I began making my payments late, 12 payments were 30 days late. I then became current until June 2013. I had a late payment in June and July and then the account was handed off to Ditech and my BOA account closed in July 2013.

I had assumed that the late payments from August 2011 to August 2012 would begin dropping off one month at a time until the July 2013 payment aged to 7 years and the whole account would drop off.  Is this correct? Or will the 12 month stretch of late payments be dropped on August 2018? 

Ditech never reported my mortage account and I have since sold the house.

Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Late payments

CRA interpretation of the exclusion of monthly delinquencies is to exclude all delinquencies in a common chain (i.e., that have the same date of initial delinquency) at 7 years from the date of initial delinquency.  They do not each drop individually based on 7 years from their individual date of delinquency.

If an account is brought back into pays as agreed good standing after prior monthly delinquencies, and is either paid or pays as agreed when the 7 year exclusion period arrives, the CRA excludes the delinquencies, but not the entire account.

However, if an account remains delinquent when the CRA is doing exclusion of the prior monthly delinquencies, they will exclude the entire account.  The reason for the exclusion of the entire account is that the current status will still have a delinquenciy status, which cannot continue to report beyond 7 years, so the CRA excludes the entire account as the only means to exclude any reference to the prior delinquencies.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.