Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Legality of continued reporting

tag
heirophant
Established Contributor

Legality of continued reporting

I had a CO for a BOA Visa back in 2005.  It was sold to LVNV funding and I settled with them back in December.  It reports every month as a CO still on my TU and EQ reports and I fear that this report of a CO every month is either hurting my credit score or not allowing it to improve like my EX score is.  They stopped reporting in December to EX.  It just has one final CO and in each of the reports it has a 0 balance and in the comments says Settled for less than full amount.

So on to the meat of the issue, I called LVNV funding to seed why they continue to report and if they could just stop reporting now and was told that they would report to the CRA's every month until 2011 when it will fall off as required by law.  Now, no other CA reported after I had paid except to update the report to say it was paid (didn't know about GW letters until this forum, so they weren't deleted, although I have disputed some of them away), so I asked her what law said this because none of the other companies seem to be following this law.  She couldn't tell me this statute, but again just said that they will report until 2011 as required by law.  I then had a few choice words to say to her and hung up.

So, is this legal?  Can they report every month?  What should I do?  Anyone here a lawyer in the state of Nevada?  I feel like I'm getting punished for not paying in full.

Message Edited by heirophant on 05-22-2008 07:31 PM

Message Edited by heirophant on 05-22-2008 07:32 PM
Scores: TU (FICO8): 781, EQ (FICO8): 798, EX (FICO8): 788

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 1 of 11
10 REPLIES 10
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Legality of continued reporting

I don't think they are bound by law to report at all. They like to say they can't delete but the truth is they can delete any time they wish it a voluntary reporting system.

However anyone that does report is bound by law that what they report is ACCURATE.

IANAL but that is how I interpret the regulations.
Message 2 of 11
heirophant
Established Contributor

While it is accurate that it was a CO, the CO was paid in 12/07.  It is no longer a CO every month, thereafter, it is a settled account.  I don't see how reporting every month as a CO is accurate.  Here is a screenshot of how it is reporting from True Credit.

In my wallet: Chase Sapphire Preferred: 16,000 | Chase Slate Edge: 8,100 | Bilt World Elite Mastercard: 16,000 | Fidelity Rewards Visa Signature: 8,500 | PenFed Visa Gold: 12,500 | Penfed Pathfinder: 15,000 | Apple Card: 6,500 | Lowe's: 35,000 | Northern Skies FCU Platinum: 15,000 | Kohls: 3,000

Mortgage 11/20
Message 3 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I don't think they can report monthly as a CO after it's paid-

That is like marking a late payment when you did not have a payment due-

legally it is not a CO anymore- so the reporting is inaccurate
Message 4 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

If I were you I would dispute all those inaccuracies. However first you should obtain your true credit reports which have more details. Get them from the source each CRA.

If you haven't used your freebies this year now is a good time. If you have they are like 10 bucks each.

Then dispute the inaccuracies. There is good information all over on the common willful errors these CA's inject in your reports just to poison your scores.

Goodluck
Message 5 of 11
heirophant
Established Contributor

Another thing I don't quite understand now that I think about it is how can a CA call this a CO?  I thought only the OC could charge off an account?  I also think it is odd how ununiform the reporting is accross all 3 agencies.  Looking at EQ more closely it is reporting 120 days overdue every month on a 0 balance.  These guys are evil.  That's probably why my score is lowest with EQ.

Message Edited by heirophant on 05-22-2008 08:57 PM

Mortgage 11/20
Message 6 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd dispute it. With EX you need a report number to dispute online. TU will give you a CR for disputing. EQ I don't know, b/c I have to deal with CSC, and you don't have to have a CR to dispute online with them.

Message 7 of 11
heirophant
Established Contributor

sidewinder wrote:
I'd dispute it. With EX you need a report number to dispute online. TU will give you a CR for disputing. EQ I don't know, b/c I have to deal with CSC, and you don't have to have a CR to dispute online with them.

What exactly is CSC?

Mortgage 11/20
Message 8 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

Someon correct me if I am wrong, but a CA can report the account as CO if the CA does not own the account, and just collecting for the OC? If I am incorrect than I apologize in advance, but that is the way I understand it to be.
Message 9 of 11
Anonymous
Not applicable

heiro, I would start writing EQ asap. That current pay status is very incorrect. It would only be 120 days late if you indeed still have a balance. That IS why your score is low because it is showing as a recent derog.
Message 10 of 11
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.