Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Letter of deletion

tag
talljules
Established Member

Letter of deletion

Hello,

I have an interesting situation.  In August of 2012, I went to the emergency room and forgot to pay the bill.  Of course, it went to collections so it showed up now that I am trying to clean up my credit report.  Following the advice provided in this group, I have taken the following steps:

1 - I contacted the OC and attempted to pay them directly.  They stated that I needed to work through the CA

2 - I sent a DV to the CA - They came back validating the debt.

3 - I sent them and PFD at 75% of the total.  However, after sending them the letter realized that it was still within the SOL so I wasn't expecting them to accept.  However, I decided to wait until I got a denial in writing.

4 - In my letter, I stated that everything need to be done in writing, therefore, I have been ignoring their calls as I don't want to accientally say something that might mess things up.

After doing this, I got a letter dated 3-19-14 stating "Please be advisd that all information regarding the above referenced individual has ben requested to be deleted from your credit bureau files.  We will trasmit this information electronically to all three credit bureaus shortly...."

I guess my concern is that I actually owe them something, however, I am concernd that if I do anything, say anything, or pay anything, it will start all over again on my CR.

Suggestions/thought?

Thank you 

Starting Score: 482
Current Score: 572 on 1/14 - 593 on 2/14 -612 on 3/14 - 627 on 3/15
Goal Score: 720

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge
Message 1 of 2
1 REPLY 1
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: Letter of deletion

If they are deleting their collection, that almost assuredly means they no longer have collection authority.

There are several possiblities as to why.

If the OC still owns the debt, they could have simply terminated their assignment to that debt collector.

If the OC sold the debt, it would also terminate their assignee.

If the debt collector owned the debt, it would most likely signify that they sold it to another.

Regardless, the unpaid debt still exists, and someone still owns it, and thus can report continued efforts to collect on the debt.

Any debt collector, including the one who deleted, is free to report or re-report their collection.

You could contact the OC or debt collector and attempt to determine who now owns the debt of has collection authority.

Until you know that, you cant negotiate.

Without resolving that issue, then you would simply wait for possible contact by a new debt collector, and start the process anew with them.

Message 2 of 2
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.