Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Little advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Little advice

Hello. I'm in the process of rebuilding my credit. At the end of 2015, I had lost my job to a sudden and brutal company lay off. It caused us to have to move. Got behind on bills. Not everything got forwarded to new address; those that didn't went to collections. After that, my federal student loans went into default (now only $15k from 22k). I ended up in a better, stable job that took 6 weeks to finally get my first check from. I am in law enforcement.

My car loan only has $1500 remaining from 12k in 2014. Student loans are in rehab with 3 months to go. I've noticed a couple charges from Chapter Communications to the tune of $348. Problem is, I've never had services through Time Warner. I haven't even had cable at all since 2012 and it was under someone else's name then. I disputed the charges and still waiting for updates. Anything else I can do about faulty charges?
I've also received some threatening phone calls stating these people were going to take me to the local court if I didnt respond that day. Another stated I would go to jail (bitch.. please).
Incoming call number was blocked. They have called my ex and his parents cell phones as well, they have never been listed as contacts for anything and we separated over 6 years ago. They misstate my first name completely and the number given has no connection to any listed business. I have never taken out loans other than my car and student loans and medical is all paid up. Is this possibly a scam?
What secured cards are best to start with? So many questions!

TU is 559
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Little advice

Greetings and welcome to My Fico. Smiley Happy

"I'm in law enforcement"  <<----- Thank you! Heart

I don't know about the Chapter Communications collection, the dispute you opened is good also send a debt validation letter to the CA as listed on your report.

If you don't have your actual reports get them for free at https://www.annualcreditreport.com/index.action

As for the calls, they sound like a scam. I get them on both my cell & home phone. "Four serious delinquencies and you will be picked up by the local cops"  Yeah m-kay.. If that's the verbiage than it is most definitely a scam.

Seems like you're getting the setback under control, keep plugging away at it. 

Good Luck to you. Smiley Happy

CHEERS

ETA Discover is a good start for secured.. Also check out credit unions.. PenFed might be a good fit for you.. 

Message 2 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Threatening to take legal action that they have no intent to take, threatening arrest or jail, or calling third parties and disclosing the presence of any debt owed by a consumer, are all violations of the FDCPA.

You can file a formal complaint with the CFPB, and/or bring civil action against them for recovery of statutory damages under the FDCPA of $1,000.

Message 3 of 5
ItsCASHual
Regular Contributor

@RobertEG wrote:

Threatening to take legal action that they have no intent to take, threatening arrest or jail, or calling third parties and disclosing the presence of any debt owed by a consumer, are all violations of the FDCPA.

You can file a formal complaint with the CFPB, and/or bring civil action against them for recovery of statutory damages under the FDCPA of $1,000.

Do you have to actually speak with said company and they threaten you or is just the fact that they leave the message on your answering machine or VM enough? I've had a couple of these types of calls as well and honestly don't know who they are supposedly collecting for because I don't answer the call, nor do I call back. I figure if they can't leave who they're calling on behalf of that I'm not bothering with it.

FICO 8

Message 4 of 5
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Leaving the message on a voice mail would likely be legal gold in court, as it is solid evidence, assuming the court finds the electronic message to be admissible.

An argument in court that the debt collector left the message with the reasonable assumption that the consumer would never hear it, and thus it is not an implication or representation made to the consumer, would likely not prevail. 

One leaves a voice mail with the reasonble assumption that it will be heard.  

I would consider the voice mail as better than an unsubstantiated, he-said, she-said, verbal statement.

Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.