cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for Recommendations: Paid In Full (PIF) Discover Card Chargeoff Situation

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for Recommendations: Paid In Full (PIF) Discover Card Chargeoff Situation

Hi folks. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to address the following situation:

- I recently paid in full a Discover chargeoff

- The item was about 6 years old (~$7k balance)

- According to one of my reports, the "estimated month and year that this item will be removed is 12/2021"

- The "paid" status is hitting my credit reports this week (I track via MyFico and Credit Karma), and it's helping my scores, presumably for two reasons: 1) my utilization is going down, and 2) the account status has changed from derogatory to 'current'

My question: What can I do to try to get this 'baddie' completely removed from my reports? Or, should I just take a wait-and-see approach for a couple of months and see how it plays out before doing anything proactive? 

I assume my options are: 1) dispute with CA's now that it's paid in full and see what happens; 2a) Goodwill / saturation campaign with Discover; 2b) call Discover directly and beg and plead for mercy and see if they take pity on me.

Anything I'm missing?

Thank you!

Message 1 of 13
12 REPLIES 12
dragontears
Senior Contributor

Re: Looking for Recommendations: Paid In Full (PIF) Discover Card Chargeoff Situation

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi folks. I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to address the following situation:

- According to one of my reports, the "estimated month and year that this item will be removed is 12/2021"

- The "paid" status is hitting my credit reports this week (I track via MyFico and Credit Karma), and it's helping my scores, presumably for two reasons: 1) my utilization is going down, and 2) the account status has changed from derogatory to 'current'

My question: What can I do to try to get this 'baddie' completely removed from my reports? Or, should I just take a wait-and-see approach for a couple of months and see how it plays out before doing anything proactive? 

I assume my options are: 1) dispute with CA's now that it's paid in full and see what happens; 2a) Goodwill / saturation campaign with Discover; 2b) call Discover directly and beg and plead for mercy and see if they take pity on me.

Anything I'm missing?

Thank you!

1. What exactly would you dispute? 

2. You can try goodwill efforts but you shouldn't hold your breath as there is not much on successful goodwill from Discover. And expect them to tell you "no" many times 

Now that it is paid your scores should start recovering and you only have just over a year before it falls off. 

Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for Recommendations: Paid In Full (PIF) Discover Card Chargeoff Situation

@Anonymous wrote:

Anything I'm missing?

Thank you!

Ouch. What's your state SOL? 6 years seems awfully old. Are you dealing with a CA or directly with Discover? If so, who's the collection company? 

Message 3 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was dealing with a law firm (Stillman) but it was/is reporting directly from Discover. So I guess it's formally "direct".

I'm not sure what the SOL is -- I'm in Massachusetts.

To address a question from another poster, re: "What would you dispute"? I'm not really sure. I was thinking I could just take a stab using that approach, and see if I could sneak it through. Wishful (unrealistic) thinking, I'm sure.

Thanks everyone!

Message 4 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I was dealing with a law firm (Stillman) but it was/is reporting directly from Discover. So I guess it's formally "direct".

To address a question from another poster, re: "What would you dispute"? I'm not really sure. I was thinking I could just take a stab using that approach, and see if I could sneak it through. Wishful (unrealistic) thinking, I'm sure.

Thanks everyone!

It means Statue of Limitations or the period, in years, that legal action can be brought against you for debts. Massachusetts is 6 years. You should have initially requested a Pay-For-Delete. Did you pay this amount in full or is the $7K a settlement for a higher balance?

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Thanks everyone!

Disputing it will cause you grief and there is literally nothing to dispute. You should see some score improvement from paying it and have already waited 6 years, having had your scores supressed by it, and you only have 1 left to go before it is removed, so you may need to just be patient in the meantime. Is there a particular rush?

You can go the GW route, and I would certainly try until EE (early exclusion) is on the table.

Pull all 3 CRs from annul credit report for free (no scores, but free to oull weekly through 4/2021).

TU will list "estimated date of removal". You can request EE exactly 6 months before that. If it say 12/2021, you can call on 6/1/2021 for it to be EE'd. My SO removed 8 baddies on 6/1/2020 with an "estimated date of removal" of 12/2020.

EX will list "on record until". This one is tricky to people because EX offers 3 months EE, but they already give you 2 months of it in the "on record until" date. If it says 10/2021, you can request the 3rd month of EE on 9/2021.

EQ is messy and I strongly suggest you not even bother with EE with them. They only give 1 month, anyway, and several DPs have reported TLs falling off naturally 1-4 months early. They list "Date of First Delinquency". Add 7 years to that and that is when it technically should drop off and does not include them potentially dropping it off earlier.

In your situation SOL is 6 years in MA, so it sounds like you were about to get sued for this debt from the attorney group in the 11th hour. If you had perhaps reached out before that point you may have been able to settle for less, but it is now paid, and you can move forward.

Also, PFD is rare with OCs, so don't feel badly, because you were going down the road to be sued and they seriously would not have considered it as all the leverage was in their favor. Even if it wasnt, again, OCs almost never entertain PFDs, that is reserved for CAs as a bargaining chip so you dont have the double whammy of both the OC and CA reporting (which they can). Thankfully you did not get a judgement where they charged you legal fees and more fees and garnished your wages.

If the CO had been updating monthly, yes, you likely will see a score bump from it updating to "paid", but still will be a "CO", and there is a chance that because util went down, you will see a score gain there. It is more difficult to predict that, as you do not say what your util is on your other TLs. Getting util down to 0% in the baddie will help as far as individual util goes, but as far as aggregate util, only you know that at this point.

So again, go the GW route, which I have not seen many Disco success stories, but that should not deter you, as you will not know until you try, and if all else fails when the time comes to EE, you can request it at that point.

Good luck!

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ah, Massachusetts SOL is 6 years. I did not know that -- thanks.

I paid in full -- attorney fees, interest, and whatever else they tacked on to the account over the years. The card's credit limit was $6,500, but I've paid them nearly $8,000 over the past 60 days to get the account settled. (I'm not complaining -- this situation is entirely my fault -- just sharing all the facts.)

Thanks for your info.

Message 7 of 13
Brian_Earl_Spilner
Credit Mentor

So not dispute. It will probably come back verified and will sing your score as if you had a fresh derogatory. You can start requesting EE 6 months prior to it falling off, depending on the bureau. Don't do EE with Equifax, that's just asking for problems.

Message 8 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

"Disputing it will cause you grief and there is literally nothing to dispute."

That's great advice -- thank you. I'm presently in a "throw everything at it, including the kitchen sink" mode of thinking, and I appreciate the straight recommendation, which will help to curb my worst impulses!

I have 4 existing, rotating tradelines with a combined $7,000 limit. I'm currently reporting at 25% utilization due to the Discover situation ($3500 outstanding balance / $7000 + $6500), and that will drop to <1% when the updated Discover info hits on all the reports.

Thank you!

Message 9 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

"Disputing it will cause you grief and there is literally nothing to dispute."

That's great advice -- thank you. I'm presently in a "throw everything at it, including the kitchen sink" mode of thinking, and I appreciate the straight recommendation, which will help to curb my worst impulses!

I have 4 existing, rotating tradelines with a combined $7,000 limit. I'm currently reporting at 25% utilization due to the Discover situation ($3500 outstanding balance / $7000 + $6500), and that will drop to <1% when the updated Discover info hits on all the reports.

Thank you!

I understand, and I am a seriously impatient person, especially now that I am spending hard earned money to "right" my "wrongs", and would live to see some results quickly as well, so I cannot fault you for trying!

Again, just hang in there and request EE when the time comes for TU and EX. You can definitely try the GW route, since you did PIF, interest, attorney fees, and all. Perhaps they may look a little bit favorably upon that?

You should see a score bump with both the individual and aggregate util going down, so there is that to look forward to!

Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.