Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for advice

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Looking for advice

I've been reading these forums for a couple months now and attempting to repair my credit. I'm looking for the next steps I should be taking. Currently this is my situation..

FICO: 578

TU - 619
EQ - 589
EX - Waiting for report...

2 open credit cards

Capital One: non-secured, $400 limit, utilizing 20%, 5 months old, no late payments

First Bankcard: secured, $300 limit, utilizing 30%, 1yr old, no late payments

Credit One: (HASN'T REPORTED YET) non-secured, $300 limit, just received this card a week ago

I pay off my cards in full monthly.

2 closed credit cards

Wells Fargo: closed October 2014, $927 balance on a $600 limit, charged off as bad debt, not reporting any payment history on TU, 10 on time then 1/1/4 with EQ

Kay Jewelers: closed June 2014, $0 balance on a $512 limit, charged off and sold to another lender, not reporting payment history on TU, 8 on time then 1/1/4 with EQ

1 auto loan

Credit Acceptance: opened March 2017, $10,826 balance with monthly payments of $327 and 57 months left on term, I'm in good standing here. Interest was 23.5% so I intend to refinance after a year

2 collections

CONVERGENT: opened September 2016, reporting monthly, $494 balance, OC is Sprint, I've disputed and they validated. Account now shows dispute and validation on report.
I have attempted to PFD both Sprint and CA with no success thus far. Sprint account is from around 2013. I feel like I might be stuck here but I intend to continue fighting

Jefferson Capital Systems: opened February 2017, last reported July 5 on TU, June 2 on EQ, $1,350 balance, OC is Verizon,
I also disputed this one for inaccurate information and got weird results. On TU account is closed but still showing balance and noted with the dispute and says it meets requirements. EQ is still open and shows dispute with reinvestigation in progress. Is a closed collection account hurting my score still?? My TU jumped like 30 points when they closed. Verizon account shows it's from 2014

2 hard inquiries on TU, 4 on EQ

AAoA is 7 months, which will probably go down once I get the collections off (if)

I'm thinking of trying for a small personal loan in order to fill that gap of credit type in my reports, and then either have the money on hand to leverage Sprint / Convergent easier when trying again to PFD, or try to work with Wells Fargo and Kay (can I even if they sold?) to see if they would delete or update if I paid (even though they're closed, they're showing lates). Probably wouldn't try for more than $1,000 and don't know if I'd even get it, I just joined a credit union that might work with me a little easier, who knows.

I'm sort of at a loss with how to proceed right now, or if I should just wait and garden for a while. I plan to bring my utilization down to 8% next month, and I don't have a ton of extra income left each month after paying my current bills (maybe $2-300). But I could be a little tighter if absolutely necessary.

I'm currently living with my 18 month old son and spouse and could provide details of my expenses if that would help. Any kind of feedback or advice anybody has would be extremely appreciated, and thank you guys in advance!
4 REPLIES 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking for advice

Hi,

First thing is just take a breath and don't get overwhelmed.

I'm guessing the scores you posted are from CreditKarma.

Next thing, since it's been so long (over 6 months) you're going to have no luck at all dealing with Original Creditors like Wells, Kay, Sprint etc.

Dealing with Collections Agencies is tricky, so you should look at that. Most agencies if they don't collect from you within 3 years will likely (not guaranteed but there's a good chance) sell your debt to a JDC (Junk Debt Collector). This is a Collector that will likely do a PFD, sometimes they won't even respond to a dispute and you can just get it removed, they see it as not worth their time or effort.

I would Always recommend just looking at the name of the collector and going up to the MyFico search bar and typing in "PFD (Collection Agency's Name)" if you see others have had success doing a PFD with them that's usually a really good sign.

To answer your question of is a closed collection still hurting you. Yes, any collection will hurt you paid or unpaid in the most used FICO scoring model which is FICO 8.

You need to develop a strategy if you keep contacting OC's and so on it's only poking the bear so to speak.

You can definitely clean up your report, but patience is key! Smiley Happy

Message 2 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

I did have success with 2 other CAs already but the two that are still reporting have been troublesome. I've seen mixed results with Jefferson in the forum but Sprint/Convergent seem to be tough to crack. I'm wondering if I've shot myself in the foot by doing what I've done so far.

Wells was willing to talk, haven't tried anything with Kay. NCA were collecting on Kay's debt and they deleted when I called and requested validation. They're a junker from what I've seen. The lady I spoke with said she'd try to find it but that they deal with all Kay's accounts and that I could just dispute after I pay half and they wouldn't respond. Also that I could try just talking with Kay. That was about 2 months ago. So I worry of this one coming back but even if it did I could pay it and keep it off.

Cap One said they'd up my limit next month. First Bankcard is due to refund my deposit and go non-secure in the next 2 months, I could probably get a bump then from them too.

Preparing for a good refinance on my car by next March is my short term goal and from there I want to maintain a steady increase of my score and continue financial responsibility going forward.

Message 3 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Just use other's experiences as a guide. I usually look at most recent experiences when I'm doing a PFD or Debt Validation.

You can always try sending a DV letter it's helped in my situation and they removed the collections. But YMMV

If WF will talk hear them out, offer 10-30% of the debt at the highest and get everything in writing!

As far as secured/unsecured FICO sees no difference to them they're scored the same.

But it's good you have some positive tradelines going! Definitely try to get scores up then refinance Smiley Happy
Message 4 of 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

As far as talking with Wells Fargo, since the account is closed and has lates on it but still shows a balance, I'm unsure if it is affecting my average age or my utilization.. would I be best off just paying to report as settled, report as PIF even though I would not be, remove lates or just negotiate complete removal? And would any of those options reflect with any kind of significance to my score? Just as far as efficiency goes, would I be better off having them take a back seat to other repairs?
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.