cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking for what to do

tag
megahedron

Looking for what to do

I've been working on trying to repair our credit to hopefully buy a house soon, and looking for some next steps to take/some guidance. We had a son born premature and things flew off the rails at that point for almost 6 months and although everything is good now we still have quite a few lingering items.

The big things I think that are hurting us are collections and a couple charge offs, we also have a few late payments which I need to work on GW letters for but those are at least a couple years old now. 

We've gone through and paid off the Portfolio Recovery Accounts and got those removed (if only every collection agency was like this...). Here's the remaining items: 

Charge-Off - Wells Fargo CC - Paid - DOFD: October 2013

Charge-Off - Kohl's/CapitalOne - $615 - DOFD: December 2013

Charge-Off - Walmart/SyncB - Paid - DOFD: October 2013

Charge-Off - Wells Fargo CC - $1170 - DOFD: October 2013

Collection - AMERICAN COLLECTION SYS - $188 - Medical

Collection - AMERICAN COLLECTION SYS - $122 - Medical

Collection - ACCOUNT BROKERS-LARIMER - $63 - Medical

Collection - COLLECTION CENTER-WYOMING - $858 - Medical

Collection - COLLECTION CENTER-WYOMING - $384 - Medical

Collection - BONDED ADJUSTING - $303 - Medical

Collection - BONDED ADJUSTING - $59 - Medical

Collection - ARMADA CORPORATION - $183 - Medical

Collection - Professional Finance - $290 - Medical

Collection - Professional Finance - $129 - Medical

Mainly what I'm trying to figure out is how to go about dealing with the collections and removing them? I've seen some about PFDs but do they really work? What's the best process for them? We are in a position where we could pay all of them in full.

Also what should I do, if anything with the charge offs, should I pay the remaing?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

Message 1 of 7
6 REPLIES 6
Jnbmom
Credit Mentor

Re: Looking for what to do

Well I would start with the medical collections, they seems to be a little easier to PFD, and you have a few with same company so it looks like you can deal with 6 collectors. That is where I would start.

With the others, are they still with original creditor or have they sold them? Paying for delete with original creditors doesn't really seem to happen. If your DOLA are correct those would be falling off your reports next year (2020).

EXP 780 EQ 791TU 795
Message 2 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

To follow up with Jnbmom said. Paid off is a whole lot better than owed. Plus you can get back in with Cap1 soon after. The medicals I'd call and ask for PFD. If no go. Hang up and google HIPPA technique. We can not post links or instructions. Good Luck!

Message 3 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to the board Smiley Happy

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, if not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3.  ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

Message 4 of 7
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Better advice above me.

Message 5 of 7
megahedron

So I thought I'd send a few PFDs through e-mail to the places I could find some e-mails for since I figured it couldn't hurt anything even if they didn't respond. I did hear back from Bonded Adjusting and they just stated that they do not communicate to consumers over e-mail. I hadn't heard anything from Professional Finance but then checked the mail today and got a letter letting me know they would delete if I paid the full amount! I submitted the payment online today so that will take them off my list. I haven't heard from any of the others but I hadn't gotten around to sending those PFD e-mails until this past weekend, so we shall see what they do... 

In the midst of everything though we did pay American Collection System but without any PFD stimulations. So would the best approach to these be a GW letter? 

Message 6 of 7
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

@megahedron wrote:

So I thought I'd send a few PFDs through e-mail to the places I could find some e-mails for since I figured it couldn't hurt anything even if they didn't respond. I did hear back from Bonded Adjusting and they just stated that they do not communicate to consumers over e-mail. I hadn't heard anything from Professional Finance but then checked the mail today and got a letter letting me know they would delete if I paid the full amount! I submitted the payment online today so that will take them off my list. I haven't heard from any of the others but I hadn't gotten around to sending those PFD e-mails until this past weekend, so we shall see what they do... 

In the midst of everything though we did pay American Collection System but without any PFD stimulations. So would the best approach to these be a GW letter? 

If it updates to a paid collection then GW letter to the office of the CEO to ask for its removal would be good.

Message 7 of 7
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.