cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Looking to improve overall

Hunter754

Looking to improve overall

I currently have a trans union 489 (according to CK) (this is all over the place usually around 520)
And 541 Equifax (also all over the place)
I have a slight negative history
A Kay's card that had $75 delinquent since paid and closes but the big one is a Firestone card
It has roughly $638 owed and is marked charged off.
I keep getting messages about it to pay however I'm not sure who to even pay.
Other then that I have high inquires.
I am working on rebuilding with:
Indigo - $300
Capital one secured - $500 that matured to $601
Capital one unsecured for - $300
Citi secured for - $500

I am looking for general tips to improve and fix my scores. My utilization is high but I usually pay it off and run it back up (I got noticeable jumps this way but it may not be proper)
I cant break the 600~ resistance
Message 1 of 5
4 REPLIES 4
cship10
Regular Contributor

Re: Looking to improve overall

I'm going through this with my DH currently. 

Can you afford to pay off the Charged off Firestone card? If so, contact them and discuss the payment options. You most likely will not get a PDF because they are the origional creditor however, paying it off should show you a boost and will stop dinging you monthly. How long has it been in the charge off status?

As for current payments. I try to make sure our credit cards are all paid but one before the statement cuts. If you show high utilization reported, it can scare other creditors when applying. Let one report a small balance under 8.9%.  

I would make sure you get that charge off paid and behind you. The sooner, the better. 

BK discharged 10/7/2014
Current Scores MyFico TU: 753 EQ: 773 EX: 668
Cards: NFCU CashRewards 48000 | NFCU Flagship 32000| Huntington Voice 18,000 | Citi AA 33,000 |BB&T 4500 | Cap1 V 33500 | Sony 7000 | TVA Employee CU 10,000 | WF Propel 15000 | Sync BananaR Visa 10,000 | DCU Visa 15000 | Overstock 11800 | Sync Lowes 25000 | Sync AE 7000 | Sync Amazon 10,000 | Sync Belk 10000 | NFCU CLOC 15,000 | Citi Costco 9,700 | First Bank 8000 | Bestbuy Visa 10,000 | HomeDepot 5000 | BBVA CP 10000 | Macy's Store 11,300 |
Installments WF Mortgage $257k | Y-12 FCU HELOC 16,000 | Mercedes-Benz Lease | Mercedes-Benz Lease | DCU Auto Loan

AAoA 3 yrs 7 M
TONS of Inquires :-p
Message 2 of 5
ImTheDevil
Super Contributor

What's the source of your scores? When we only see TU and EQ quoted, we assume (usually correctly) that it's Credit Karma. If so, disregard those scores. CK uses an alternate scoring algorithm called VantageScore 3.0, which is used by essentially no one for lending decisions. You need your FICO scores and the easiest way to get them is a seven day trial at www.creditchecktotal.com for $1. Get those and report back and then we can assess not only where you stand, but where you may end up with the cleanup.

Platinum NPSL | Rose Gold NPSL | BCP | Delta Gold | Hilton Surpass | Hilton Honors | FNBO Prime Visa | FNBO Evergreen | PenFed PCR | PenFed Gold | Navy cashRewards | Navy Platinum | Apple | Wells Fargo Active Cash | IT Cash | IT Chrome | GHSFCU Visa Plat | Quicksilver | Target | VS | Home Depot | Lowes | Sams MC | Firestone | Overstock | Kohl’s | Key Bank auto loan (2017 Audi A6 Premium Plus S-Line)

Message 3 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Now that you have some rebuilder cards. Its time to go after the debts and get them taken care of. When the new accounts start helping your scores and you get the past behind you. then you'll see great gains in time.

Homeowner since Sept 2020. Sharing my experiences after BK from learning here. Rebuild to recovery from the @ 540's.
Message 4 of 5
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Hunter754 wrote:
I currently have a trans union 489 (according to CK) (this is all over the place usually around 520)
And 541 Equifax (also all over the place)
I have a slight negative history
A Kay's card that had $75 delinquent since paid and closes but the big one is a Firestone card
It has roughly $638 owed and is marked charged off.
I keep getting messages about it to pay however I'm not sure who to even pay. You did not mention ant collection agencies. So Firestone probably still owns it. Do what you can to set up payment arraingements before a collections is added to your reports from them.
Other then that I have high inquires. No more apps. Let the inq's age a year and they will fall off FICO.
I am working on rebuilding with:
Indigo - $300
Capital one secured - $500 that matured to $601
Capital one unsecured for - $300
Citi secured for - $500

I am looking for general tips to improve and fix my scores. My utilization is high but I usually pay it off and run it back up (I got noticeable jumps this way but it may not be proper)
I cant break the 600~ resistance

Use your cards but PIF before statement cuts. Only have 1 card report $20 and then pay after statement date and before due date. Or as we say AZEO. All zero except one. Welcome to the forums.

Homeowner since Sept 2020. Sharing my experiences after BK from learning here. Rebuild to recovery from the @ 540's.
Message 5 of 5
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.