AZEO - 7% Utilization

NFCU SSL <8.9% (hasn't showed up on CR)

Oldest account is 7 months

Collections: 2

ARS Medical - $579 (2017)

PRA (CAPONE Chargeoff) - $472 (2017)

100% on time payments

SH*T ton of inquiries in past 6 months from dealership

I need some advice to get it over 700. Do I need to just keep paying on time and let it build up? I've talked to both collection agencies and they said they will do a PFD for a lesser amount. Do I need to get them removed or just let them fall off? They haven't been a issue for me for any credit cards or a car pre approval through CapOne Auto Navigator... thank you guys just looking for the best route to go

Message 1 of 8
7 REPLIES 7
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Looking to join the 700 club! Advice?

Once they're paid, those collections will fall off in a month or so, possibly less. Losing them will be a big boost in your scores. Your loan is sitting pretty, your utilization is great, and you have a proper number of cards.

Pay the collections so they'll vanish, and then just tend your accounts like you are and let time do its thing. Wait a year before apping for anything and you could be at 720-730 pretty easily.

Message 2 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Obce they're paid, those collections will fall off in a month or so, possibly less. Losing them will be a big boost in your scores. Your loan is sitting pretty, your utilization is great, and you have a proper number of cards.

Pay the collections so they'll vanish, and then just tend your accounts like you are and let time do its thing. Wait a year before apping for anything and you could be at 720-730 pretty easily.

+1 

The best thing you could do, other than age all of your accounts and inquiries past their 1 year mark, is to rid your reports of those collections and yourself of outstanding bad debt.   You may think they're not affecting you because you've been able to obtain approvals - but that's not entirely accurate.   Not only are they suppressing your scores, but they're potentially preventing you from acquiring the best possible terms of approval (ie. lowest interest rate, higher starting limits, etc.).

Also, you mentioned one of the collections is from a CapOne Charge-Off.  Is the original tradeline from CapOne still showing on your reports?  If so, is it also still reflecting the outstanding balance owed, or is the balance reported as $0?

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 3 of 8
Morphyyy
Contributor

On TU and EQ it's showing Capital One $462

on EX it's showing portfolio recovery associates $462 and reporting late every month same with the ARS collection.

do you think the dealer running my credit a bunch of times would have a big drop in score? I know vantage isn't what I should be looking at but I got some collections removed and my TU vantage was 680 and out of nowhere it dropped 50 points with no reason besides showing I had new inquiries?

Message 4 of 8
thornback
Senior Contributor

@Morphyyy wrote:

On TU and EQ it's showing Capital One $462

on EX it's showing portfolio recovery associates $462 and reporting late every month same with the ARS collection.

do you think the dealer running my credit a bunch of times would have a big drop in score? I know vantage isn't what I should be looking at but I got some collections removed and my TU vantage was 680 and out of nowhere it dropped 50 points with no reason besides showing I had new inquiries?

That $462 on the CapOne tradeline for TU & EQ is factoring into your overall utilization and further hurting your scores.  Thats why i asked - the sooner you pay that debt so the original tradeline reports a $0 balance (and the collection is removed) the better for your scores.  The monthly updates to the collection also keeps the collection from aging and your scores from recovering

The auto inquiries probably did drop your Vantage scores -  Vantage is volatile like that. 

However, on FICO, so long as the inquiries are correctly coded, all of them should only count as one single inquiry.  FICO views multiple installment inquiries (like auto and mortgage) made within a short timeframe as consumer rate shopping and therefore, will not penalize you for each individual inquiry.   More on that here: 

https://www.fico.com/blogs/skinny-fico-scores-and-inquiries

Personal Aphorism:"Forget What You Feel, Remember What You Deserve"
Starting FICO 8s | 09/2017: EX 641 ✦ EQ 634 ✦ TU 647
Current FICO 8s | 04/2022: EX 796 ✦ EQ 793 ✦ TU 790
Current FICO 9s | 04/2022: EX 790 ✦ EQ 788 ✦ TU 782
2022 Goal Score | 800s

My AAoA:
4.6 years not incl. AU / 4.9 years incl. AU
My AoOA: 9.2 years not incl. AU / 11.2 years incl. AU
Inquiries: EX 0/12 ✦ EQ 0/12 ✦ TU 0/12
Report Status: Clean
Garden Status:  

Without patience, we will learn less in life. We will see less. We will feel less. We will hear less. Ironically, rush and more usually mean less.
Message 5 of 8
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@Morphyyy wrote:

EQ: 614

TU: 616

EX: 607

CapOne Plat Unsecured: $300

CapOne Plat Secured: $500

NFCU GoRewards: $500

AZEO - 7% Utilization

NFCU SSL <8.9% (hasn't showed up on CR)

Oldest account is 7 months

Collections: 2

ARS Medical - $579 (2017)

PRA (CAPONE Chargeoff) - $472 (2017)

100% on time payments

SH*T ton of inquiries in past 6 months from dealership

I need some advice to get it over 700. Do I need to just keep paying on time and let it build up? I've talked to both collection agencies and they said they will do a PFD for a lesser amount. Do I need to get them removed or just let them fall off? They haven't been a issue for me for any credit cards or a car pre approval through CapOne Auto Navigator... thank you guys just looking for the best route to go

Great advise from @Anonymous and @thornback . I'll pick at it the details. Your unsecured Plat can be upgraded to a QS so you can get cash back on purchases. Go here----------> https://verified.capitalone.com/sic-ui/#/esignin?Product=Card&Action=ProductUpgrade  

Percentages on payments doesnt mean anything to FICO. With FICO your were late, or no lates. So with charge offs 100% isnt true. Lates led up to the charge offs. Whoever the med provider is. Go to the office in person and offer to pay them right there in return of recalling the debt. Portfolio will delete themselves off your reports when PIF or settled. Otherwise good luck on your rebuild.

Message 6 of 8
Morphyyy
Contributor

Thank you! Sadly it's not letting me upgrade to the QS yet I've only had 1 statement cut and it's just saying not available for me...

Message 7 of 8
Anonymous
Not applicable

It'll show up around the 3rd statement most likely.

Message 8 of 8
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.