Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lost, what can I do to improve?

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lost, what can I do to improve?

Hey everyone, Happy New Year! Had an account back in '15 but completely forgot what the login was.

I'm trying to figure out how to get my score up, obviously besides paying my cards off Smiley Tongue

current debt 

I'm an authorized user on an amex card with a 27k limit that is maxed out and citi card with 56% utilization (10k/18.5k).

Back in 2015 I had:

1 30day late on my bank of america card (age of card: 12 years)

1 30day late on my citibank card (age of card: 8 years)

1 90day late on navient student loan which is now paid off

1 90day late on another navient student loan which is also now paid off

I know these should not be haunting me anymore but it seems like they are. When I check my score through my bank of america card it shows 710 but the top reason it shows is serious delinquency and then high revolving balance. Also CK shows my scores very differently 583 TU and 659 EX. I know CK and Bofa are based on different models.

Should I write GW letters to bofa, citi, navient? Just lost on what I can do to improve my score? Remove myself as AU?

Thanks in advance for the advice!!

Message 1 of 23
22 REPLIES 22
collics
Established Contributor

Re: Lost, what can I do to improve?

I think the first thing anyone here is going to tell you is to get your real FICO scores and not Credit Karma. Smiley Happy

BK 7 Discharged May 2014. Removal Feb 2024! Let the countdown begin!!
Last App: Apr 2023
Newest to Oldest:

FICO8s Dec 2019

FICO8s Oct 31 2023
Message 2 of 23
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Yes remove yourself from those maxed AU accounts until they're under control (if ever). Then write GW letters and hope for the best.

Also, as the poster above said, get your true FICO 8s either from here or from Credit Check Total for $1 free 7-day trial and just cancel before the 7da days are up.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

Ok I will work on getting my real fico score. But should I remove myself from every AU where util is high?

Message 4 of 23
AllZero
Mega Contributor

Are you benefiting from older account age on the AU cards than your own?

Question is, will the AU cards be reporting single digit % utilization anytime soon?

If not in the foreseeable future, best to remove yourself as AU if you are concerned about score.
Message 5 of 23
Anonymous
Not applicable

The best part when you remove yourself as an AU, is the accounts will show as a positive closed account on your report with a $0 balance AND will show the highest balance on the account. So when you apply for a new account somewhere, their system will see that (and not care that its an AU account) and assume you paid off a big card. It helped me many times in the past.

Message 6 of 23
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Tell the AU cards later. The util is killing you more than anything else for now. Eeven more than average age or older accounts. FICO doesnt care what the name on the cards is. The consumer does. They only care about whats reported %-wise of the credit limit. The lates will have to age. The serious delinquency is the 2 90 days lates. And you can try the GW letter removal process since they are paid you might have a better chance. Good Luck!!!!!!.

Message 7 of 23
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

The best part when you remove yourself as an AU, is the accounts will show as a positive closed account on your report with a $0 balance AND will show the highest balance on the account. So when you apply for a new account somewhere, their system will see that (and not care that its an AU account) and assume you paid off a big card. It helped me many times in the past.

I don't know about that. In my experience, when you remove yourself as an AU, the TL is deleted altogether. 

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 8 of 23
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

"To get started it’s important to know that there are two ways to get authorized user accounts removed from your report:

• Request that the card issuer removes them (normally has to be done by the primary account holder)
  • Request that the credit bureau (e.g TransUnion, Equifax or Experian) removes them

In general it’s going to be much easier to to ask the card issuer to remove the account from a credit report first. This is because if they say yes then they will automatically contact all three credit bureaus and ask them to remove the account. If you contact the credit bureaus, you’ll need to make sure all three remove the account otherwise it might still show on some of your credit reports."

AMEX is a different animal per DOC.

https://www.doctorofcredit.com/removing-authorized-user-accounts-credit-report/ 

Message 9 of 23
GApeachy
Super Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:

I don't know about that. In my experience, when you remove yourself as an AU, the TL is deleted altogether. 

Could very well happen that way or you're liable to get a number of different results like I did....who knows:

For me, EQ yes- Gone completely.Smiley Frustrated  But the two cards did remain on my Exp and Tu as closed. 

My Take Home Pay Don't Take Me Home
Message 10 of 23
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.