Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Lowering My Utilization with a Personal Loan

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Lowering My Utilization with a Personal Loan

Here is my situation, I currently have a ~610 score. The main thing hurting me is my utilization (75%). I am considering a personal loan to pay off my CCs, but the issue is the rates I am seeing aren’t much better than CCs (around 23%). Would it be possible for me to get a personal loan at this rate, which should raise my score by reducing my utilization. Then refinance that personal loan once my credit score goes up.
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Lowering My Utilization with a Personal Loan

I am actually in the same boat. I am thinking of doing the same thing. Get a loan, pay everything off, then re finance in 6 months.
Message 2 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Do you have a relationship with a CU?  They would offer you a better chance of fixing it.  The personal loan will be rough, sometimes they report negative on your CR as a Consumer Finance, then your hoping to refinance which isn't a guarantee...best bet is with a CU you have a relationship with or even a local bank, someone you can sit down with face to face.  OFC everything might work out just the way you stated (planning) however, its not a sure thing and could backfire on you with the personal loan.  This ofc is my opinion and not gospel by no means. Good luck in trying to get it under control.

Message 3 of 6
KJinNC
Valued Contributor

There would be pros and cons with a loan, depending on your profile. It could help your credit mix. But overall, I am not sure it will really make a big enough difference to achieve any credit goals you may have, aside from simply seeing the number go up a bit. It may or may not help reduce your expenses, which, if I may say, seems like the real issue if you need a loan to get your balances down. I agree with the advice to talk to a credit union (join one if necessary) and ask what they suggest or what they can do to help. Good luck!

FICO Resilience Index: 64. Cards: 5/24, 2/12, 2/6. Accounts including loans: 8/24, 4/12, 3/6. Card CLs total $213,900, or $240,400 including the AU card. Cards (oldest to newest)

Authorized user / Corporate / Auto loans / Personal loan
Message 4 of 6
CYBERSAM
Senior Contributor

The problem with Personal loans are debt to income ratio! Most CU/Banks want less then 30%

Message 5 of 6
Anonymous
Not applicable

Wouldn't you need to take out a loan that is much larger than what you owe on the credit cards, pay them off, then use the remaining cash from the loan to pay down the loan principle to decrease utilization? Or are credit cards and loans Utl separate? 

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.