cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MCM wanting more information instead of processing dispute.

tag
jerrod76
Valued Member

MCM wanting more information instead of processing dispute.

Hey yall,, MCM sends me requests for more info instead of processing online disputes.  I know enough not to send them anything. But fcra says they can either update, delete or block info regarding disputes.  I cant find ANYWHERE that says they can refuse and request more info instead.  Do they have legal standing? Or is it a fcra violation?  ThanksSmiley HappySmiley Happy):

Message 1 of 17
16 REPLIES 16
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Re: MCM wanting more information instead of processing dispute.

I dunno.   But it is sneaky of them to ask for more personal information before they validate.  

How much information did you provide to them regarding the dispute?  An account number?  Your first and last name?  

I would never provide more information that what is provided to you from them.  That should be enough for them to look up the account and provide "verification".

Message 2 of 17
annielorie
Valued Contributor

The responsibility is theirs do not help them gather more information they must validate or stop reporting. They must show proof not you

Starting Score: 0
Current Score: TR??FICOEQ ?? FICO
Goal Score: 760

Lowes7,000 Discover More 2800. Jcpenny 6,000
Chase freedom 800 Never take NO for an answer!!
Message 3 of 17
chasmith
Valued Contributor

I would respond something like this (snail mail, CMRRR):

"You made a report to the Credit Bureau.  If you made that report without sufficient knowledge of its accuracy you have already violated the Fasir Credit Reporting Act.  Failing to promptly delete the reporting when you have confirmed you cannot verify by your letter dated MM/DD/YYYY is a second violtaion.  Please confirm prompt deltion of your improper reporting."

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 4 of 17
Ravensfan2001
Established Contributor

@chasmith wrote:

I would respond something like this (snail mail, CMRRR):

"You made a report to the Credit Bureau.  If you made that report without sufficient knowledge of its accuracy you have already violated the Fasir Credit Reporting Act.  Failing to promptly delete the reporting when you have confirmed you cannot verify by your letter dated MM/DD/YYYY is a second violtaion.  Please confirm prompt deltion of your improper reporting."

I think this is so funny. I disputed online with all 3 CRAs, and they're also asking me for more information. So can the letter that MCM sent to me today be proof that they cannot verify? Also, what information do they need to provide to validate a debt? In my letter, they have T-Mobile for $1067.53. I don't believe I owe them that much. But I don't have any of my own records from my T-Mobile account. So how do I handle this? (I'm sort of new at repairing my credit)

Starting Scores: (4/16/12 lender pull) TU 596 | EX 550 | EQ 576
Current Score (9/3/15): Wally TU 639 | Amex EX 628 | DCU EQ 639
Goals: Homeowner as of 9/27/2013. Last app 8/1/15. TU-5; EX-16; EQ-13. Aiming for ZERO inqs.
Message 5 of 17
IOBA
Senior Contributor

I have had CA's demand my full name, DOB, ss #, address, phone number, employer information, and a copy of the bill I was disputing.  Huh?   Seriously - they wanted me to provide all the information to them that they did not have.   I don't think (and it's been years since this has happened) that any of them could ever verify the debt.   And I did refuse to provide more information.  My stance was - they had enough information to put it on my CR and to send me a letter - then when I provided to them what information they provided to me in the first place (dunning notice), then they had enough information to pull up the account and verify.  I think (again, it's been years) that in each case the CA stopped trying to collect and removed from CR.   In each and every case - I did  not owe the money.   

Lol - if they insist they can only look up the account by your social security number, laugh.   Same with DOB, address, etc.  The dunning notice has an account number on it. That should be good enough.

As for your debt, it sounds like you acknowledge you owe some money, just unsure of the amount.  How old is the debt?

Message 6 of 17
chasmith
Valued Contributor

If your objective is to get the reporting deleted, I would start with a letter along the lines I suggested, possibly as a "623 Letter" to the furnisher.

You could send a "method of Verification" letter to the CRA(s) citing MCM's claim they cannot identify you even though they posted to your account.  There's a court precedent saying CRAs may not just "parrot" verification by furnishers.

Do this all by snail mail, CMRRR.

BK7 Filed 8/11/2009 Discharged 11/23/2009. Purchased new home 4/11/2012
Starting Score:11/16/2009 EQ 566 11/16/2009 TU 538
Interim Score: 12/27/2012 EQ 683 09/17/2012 EX (lender) 670 1/01/2013 TU 701
Current Score: 11/06/2013 EQ 708 11/06/2013 EX 702 11/16/2013 702 11/06/2013 TU 729
Goal Score: EQ 740 EX 740 TU 740
Take the FICO Fitness Challenge
Message 7 of 17
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

It is not improper, per se, for a party who is required to investigate a dispute to assert that the consumer has not provided adequate information for them to conduct a reasonable investigation of the accuracy of the information.

The direct dispute process provides specific provision for them to do so by simply holding the dispute frivolous or irrelevant, identifying to the best of their ability what is lacking.  However, your dispute was not a direct dispute. 

When disputes are referred to them via a CRA, they could respond that the dispute has inadequate supporting documentation to conduct a reasonable investigation.  However, they would then have to rely on the CRA agreeing, and thus holding the dispute as frivolous or irrelevant, as they dont have that authority when disputes are being handled by the CRA.  They should not ask the consumer for more info, they should request the CRA to dismiss the dispute.

Message 8 of 17
jerrod76
Valued Member

Heres the part thats weird to me.  THey are saying they cannot begin an investigation without more information.  I would understand if they wanted more info to complete an already begun investigation. But to say they wont do it until i give them info they re supposed to have? Seems fishy to me

Message 9 of 17
IOBA
Senior Contributor

Again, i would go back to them with the exact information that they provided to you and say that should be sufficient for them to conduct their investigation.   If they insist on more information, tell them no.   Tell them that was enough for them to send you a dunning notice and to put it on your credit report.  If they still insist on more information, insist they delete since they can not validate.

Message 10 of 17
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.