Did you mean: 

MEDICAL COLLECTIONS - ADVICE NEEDED

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

MEDICAL COLLECTIONS - ADVICE NEEDED

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker here!

I have a medical collection sitting on my Experian credit report. My first question is related to how it's being reported. Below is how it's appearing:

Agency: United Revenue Corp

Original Creditor: Innovative Emerg Physicians

Date Opened: Aug-15

First Reported: Dec-15

Question 1: I read that an agreement reached in 2015 via the NCAP prohibits adding medical debt to credit reports until after 180 days from the time the account was reported to the credit reporting agency. Although there are not exact dates on the credit report, at MOST there was only 152 days between the date the collection was opened with Experian and the time it first reported. Do I have a standing to dispute this collection with Experian based on this? Or am I misinterpreting something?

My next questions stem from the letter that was sent to me by the collection agency in response to my DV letter sent earlier this month. Below is verbiage from the letter they sent but I want to present my questions first:

Question 2: I read that HIPAA prohibits the original creditor from sharing details about my visit with a third party. Does the Description of Services outlined in the below verbiage violate HIPAA or is it too vague? 

Question 3: The date of the hospital visit is March 11, 2015. The date of the letter they sent me in response to my DV request is June 4, 2019. In Texas, there is a 4 year statute of limitations on how long a medical collector has to be able to sue you for the debt. I believe I read somewhere that the FDCPA requires the collection agency to include verbiage in any communication to me that they can no longer sue me for the debt. This letter has nothing of the sorts included. 

Are my questions valid? If so, I'd like to use these points as leverage to request collection attempts cease and full deletion from my credit report. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Letter Verbiage:

As you requested, the following information has been obtained from our client and is being furnished to you in order to validate the account described above. This communication is from a debt collector attempting to collect a debt on behalf of ________. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose. This account represents the unpaid portion of the emergency department physician fee for medical care provided in the emergency room on March 11, 2015.

Service Date: 3/11/15

Code: 99283 25

Description: Level 3 exam emerg dep

Charge: $494

Code: 12001 59

Description: SMPLE LAC 0-2.5

Charge: $483

The letter also has payment options listed. But as I previously stated, no mention of the required verbiage stating they can no longer sue me for it.

Message 1 of 4
3 REPLIES 3
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

Re: MEDICAL COLLECTIONS - ADVICE NEEDED

Dont want to see anyone go without an answer. I've never had to deal with a situation like this. But @gdale6 has a template to remove it from your reports. And @RobertEG can give the legal advise you need. Good Luck on this matter!

Message 2 of 4
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Welcome to myFico Smiley Happy

The DoFD for a medical bill is the day after the original due date of the billing and this is typically the date the clock ticks from as far as time available to sue. Expiration of SOL does not mean that the item gets removed from your CR that clock is typically 7 years from the DoFD. There are ways to handle medicals, since this one is so old I would begin with step 3

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, (or-rebilled), collections ultimately paid by insurance get removed per new rules that came from CRAs settlement with 22 state AGs. If not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3.  ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help, this process cannot be discussed in any forum of myFico.

Message 3 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

Hi Guys,

Long time lurker here!

I have a medical collection sitting on my Experian credit report. My first question is related to how it's being reported. Below is how it's appearing:

Agency: United Revenue Corp

Original Creditor: Innovative Emerg Physicians

Date Opened: Aug-15

First Reported: Dec-15

Question 1: I read that an agreement reached in 2015 via the NCAP prohibits adding medical debt to credit reports until after 180 days from the time the account was reported to the credit reporting agency. Although there are not exact dates on the credit report, at MOST there was only 152 days between the date the collection was opened with Experian and the time it first reported. Do I have a standing to dispute this collection with Experian based on this? Or am I misinterpreting something?

My next questions stem from the letter that was sent to me by the collection agency in response to my DV letter sent earlier this month. Below is verbiage from the letter they sent but I want to present my questions first:

Question 2: I read that HIPAA prohibits the original creditor from sharing details about my visit with a third party. Does the Description of Services outlined in the below verbiage violate HIPAA or is it too vague? 

Question 3: The date of the hospital visit is March 11, 2015. The date of the letter they sent me in response to my DV request is June 4, 2019. In Texas, there is a 4 year statute of limitations on how long a medical collector has to be able to sue you for the debt. I believe I read somewhere that the FDCPA requires the collection agency to include verbiage in any communication to me that they can no longer sue me for the debt. This letter has nothing of the sorts included. 

Are my questions valid? If so, I'd like to use these points as leverage to request collection attempts cease and full deletion from my credit report. Any feedback is greatly appreciated. Thank you! 

Letter Verbiage:

As you requested, the following information has been obtained from our client and is being furnished to you in order to validate the account described above. This communication is from a debt collector attempting to collect a debt on behalf of ________. Any information obtained will be used for that purpose. This account represents the unpaid portion of the emergency department physician fee for medical care provided in the emergency room on March 11, 2015.

Code: 99283 25

Description: Level 3 exam emerg dep

Charge: $494

Code: 12001 59

Description: SMPLE LAC 0-2.5

Charge: $483

The letter also has payment options listed. But as I previously stated, no mention of the required verbiage stating they can no longer sue me for it.

Check your pm.

Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.