Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MMS Score Dropped and I don’t know why

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

MMS Score Dropped and I don’t know why

I have been steadily paying off credit cards (they're all closed except one small Cap1) and reducing utilization. I have read how mortgage scores like zero balances. On Feb 1, my MMS was 528 (Experian) and today it is 506 yet MyFico 8 (Experian) went up 3 points. Nothing else major has occurred. Please tell me this is just temporary. My next Fico update for all the scores is on Monday and at this point I don't see the point in updating for a disappointing score. I'm at a loss here...

3 REPLIES 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: MMS Score Dropped and I don’t know why

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been steadily paying off credit cards (they're all closed except one small Cap1) and reducing utilization. I have read how mortgage scores like zero balances. On Feb 1, my MMS was 528 (Experian) and today it is 506 yet MyFico 8 (Experian) went up 3 points. Nothing else major has occurred. Please tell me this is just temporary. My next Fico update for all the scores is on Monday and at this point I don't see the point in updating for a disappointing score. I'm at a loss here...

Mortgage scores love $0 balances, but since you only have 1 open account, that means that if you have a balance report, 100% of your open revolvers have a balance.

Mortgage scores love a low percentage of accounts with balances.

Since the other accounts are closed, they do not really count towards this.

Having only 1 actuve account also poses the problem of if you report a $0 balance, becausr then the scoring alogrithms have nithing to score you on, so you get the negative reason code of "no revolving credit used" and lose points.

Ideally, you want 3 revolvers, but if you are looking to get a mortgage soon, mortgage scores do not like new accounts.

Do you have any other type of credit accounts that are open? Installment loans of some sort? Student, auto, personal loan(s)?

Or is the only account open you have is tge single credit card? If it only the single credit card that is open/active then you not only have 100% of revolving credit accounts reporting a balance, but 100% of all accounts reporting a balance.

Message 2 of 4
Anonymous
Not applicable

I have 2 auto loans, 2 installment loans and student loan so otherwise a good mix aside from the one active credit card. As an update I just discovered a repo/charge off that I did a pay for delete was removed from my credit report.  I'm wondering if that was a factor; the auto score shower a slight improvement as well. 

Message 3 of 4
simplegirl
Valued Contributor

If your capital one reported a zero balance that score drop could be a result of that because you need the card to report a balance.

Starting Score: 494 503 521
Current Score: 503 507 507 2/19
Goal Score: 680

Take the myFICO Fitness Challenge

Goals:

Get First Home in Summer 2025
Message 4 of 4
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.