cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY JOB IS AT STAKE, Need Federal Tax Lien Help!

tag
KittySaysMeow
Established Member

Re: MY JOB IS AT STAKE, Need Federal Tax Lien Help!

What you need is the IRS Form 668-Z, Release of Federal Tax Lien. This is what proves that the tax lien was released. You can obtain a copy in one of two ways.

1). If it was filed in Cook County, you can obtain it from the Cook County Recorder of Deeds (Karen Yarbrough's office). You can search the following site:

http://cookrecorder.com/search-our-records/

Do an "Advanced Search", set the appropriate date range, and select "Release of Federal Tax Lien" as the document type. Lien releases are public record. You'll need to pay a few bucks for a copy of the 668-Z itself. Use your own name in the grantor/grantee field.

2). Contact the IRS Centralized Lien Operation at 1-800-913-6050 and request a copy. This will be slower.

Provide a copy of the 668-Z to the company conducting the background check, and to your employer, along with a letter stating how the lien came about, what you did to correct it, and the timeline. I have done this numerous times for clients that were in the same situation, with DOD, DOE, and intelligence community clearances up to and including "Secret", and they have never had a problem. I cannot speak for "Top Secret" clearances or above.

Federal tax liens are a matter of public record, and subject to the same credit reporting requirements as a bankruptcy. Thus, until it ages off naturally per FCRA, the credit bureaus will NOT simply delete it from your reports -- they will only indicate the release.

Disclaimer: As I do not know the full details of your or any other reader's situation, this cannot be considered personalized tax advice. Applicability to your specific situation may vary. For personalized advice, consider contacting a tax attorney, CPA, or IRS Enrolled Agent that is extremely experienced in tax lien matters (very, very few are!). This post is not intended to be a soliciation for services.

Best wishes to you!

Message 11 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'm sure it's Cook County.  The case number is listed on my EQ report. I suppose I need a laywer to file the motion?

Message 12 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KittySaysMeow wrote:

What you need is the IRS Form 668-Z, Release of Federal Tax Lien. This is what proves that the tax lien was released. You can obtain a copy in one of two ways.

1). If it was filed in Cook County, you can obtain it from the Cook County Recorder of Deeds (Karen Yarbrough's office). You can search the following site:

http://cookrecorder.com/search-our-records/

Do an "Advanced Search", set the appropriate date range, and select "Release of Federal Tax Lien" as the document type. Lien releases are public record. You'll need to pay a few bucks for a copy of the 668-Z itself. Use your own name in the grantor/grantee field.

2). Contact the IRS Centralized Lien Operation at 1-800-913-6050 and request a copy. This will be slower.

Provide a copy of the 668-Z to the company conducting the background check, and to your employer, along with a letter stating how the lien came about, what you did to correct it, and the timeline. I have done this numerous times for clients that were in the same situation, with DOD, DOE, and intelligence community clearances up to and including "Secret", and they have never had a problem. I cannot speak for "Top Secret" clearances or above.

Federal tax liens are a matter of public record, and subject to the same credit reporting requirements as a bankruptcy. Thus, until it ages off naturally per FCRA, the credit bureaus will NOT simply delete it from your reports -- they will only indicate the release.

Disclaimer: As I do not know the full details of your or any other reader's situation, this cannot be considered personalized tax advice. Applicability to your specific situation may vary. For personalized advice, consider contacting a tax attorney, CPA, or IRS Enrolled Agent that is extremely experienced in tax lien matters (very, very few are!). This post is not intended to be a soliciation for services.

Best wishes to you!

Thank you for the detalied reply. The link posted link seems to be for property records? I do not see an advanced search function.

Message 13 of 35
KittySaysMeow
Established Member

Follow the instructions I layed out. There is nothing that a court can realistically do in this case. Like I already stated, get a copy of 668-Z, write a letter of explanation, and submit it to the background check entity and your employer. That is really all you need to do. This is NOT going to come off your credit report (you are misunderstanding the nature of the IRS Fresh Start lien conditions, but that's beyond the scope).

Message 14 of 35
KittySaysMeow
Established Member

Thank you for the detalied reply. The link posted link seems to be for property records? I do not see an advanced search function.

Change the search type to grantor/grantee search in the menu at the top, second from left. Enter your name in search box, click advanced search.

Message 15 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@KittySaysMeow wrote:

Follow the instructions I layed out. There is nothing that a court can realistically do in this case. Like I already stated, get a copy of 668-Z, write a letter of explanation, and submit it to the background check entity and your employer. That is really all you need to do. This is NOT going to come off your credit report (you are misunderstanding the nature of the IRS Fresh Start lien conditions, but that's beyond the scope).

@Thank you @KittySaysMeow for the advice and link. I did get a copy of  my 668Z release of lien form and will proactively disclose to my HR with a letter of explanation. You are correct about the CRA; I spoke with an attorney who says there is NOTHING I can do to get the credit agencies to remove this record prior to the"seven years since release" date (in my case Aug 2016).  Dirt bags, but it's my own fault...I digress.

Thanks again all!

Message 16 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Hopefully between the release and the LOX showing it is paid and everything will be good enough for your clearance!   I wish you the best!!!

Message 17 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

Unofficial update:  Early intell indicates the fact the record exist, paid or not, will cost me my career. My next step will be throwing myself on the mercy of the migistrate to vacate this record. Any advise in this regard would be helpful as I could sware people in this forum and others have had success removing paid public records early. Perhaps wishful thinking, Keep up with your CR kidos, it could cost you more than a FICO score.  Smiley Sad

Message 18 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

I'd start searching for a Tax Lien attorney in Cook County, IL.    Most will probably talk to you on the phone to ask questions for free - and then decide what route/costs may be.   You are in a time crunch - and that may be your best bet for finding an answer quickly.

Also - Maybe keep calling the CRAs - continue to ask for a supervisor and work that EE as well...... maybe someone will be nice and remove it.   Sure can't hurt at this point....try TU first - they will usually be the most accomodating on EE.  EQ is the worst....

I so wish you the best......

Message 19 of 35
Anonymous
Not applicable

@Anonymous wrote:

I'd start searching for a Tax Lien attorney in Cook County, IL.    Most will probably talk to you on the phone to ask questions for free - and then decide what route/costs may be.   You are in a time crunch - and that may be your best bet for finding an answer quickly.

Also - Maybe keep calling the CRAs - continue to ask for a supervisor and work that EE as well...... maybe someone will be nice and remove it.   Sure can't hurt at this point....try TU first - they will usually be the most accomodating on EE.  EQ is the worst....

I so wish you the best......

@Anonymous @Anonymous. I did speak with two Attorney's specializing in Tax Liens who both indicated there was nothing I could do. I've spoken with Equifax, incluing supervisors, on two occassions with no luck, but I will certainly keep trying. I will also try TU, I could use a boost if they're more accomodating. This is a 25 year job at stake, so I will definately go down swinging. 

Thanks again.

Message 20 of 35
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.