Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

MY LAST COLLECTION -- on one remaining Credit Bureau report

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

MY LAST COLLECTION -- on one remaining Credit Bureau report

I am down to one final collection report.

It is on Experian.

I called and asked to find the DOFD and they told me they cannot find that information.

I had preivously called TransUnion and they had the date as May 31, 2012 -- exactly six month from yesterday.

TransUnion said they were removing it from my report.

That left Experian.

When I called them, they were very pleasent, but could not find the DOFD -- I even spoke with a supervisor.

Experian didn't even seem to know what I was talking about -- as opposed to TU which was aware and understood everything.

So my question is -- should I dispute and request the DOFD?? Would there be a downside in doing that??

Assuming May 21, 2012 is correct, I would be able to ask for EE in three months from Experian. But if they cannot get me an answer, I would get the report removed.

Looking for guidance here.

Thanks.

2 REPLIES 2
gdale6
Moderator Emeritus

Re: MY LAST COLLECTION -- on one remaining Credit Bureau report

@Anonymous wrote:

I am down to one final collection report.

It is on Experian.

I called and asked to find the DOFD and they told me they cannot find that information.

I had preivously called TransUnion and they had the date as May 31, 2012 -- exactly six month from yesterday.

TransUnion said they were removing it from my report.

That left Experian.

When I called them, they were very pleasent, but could not find the DOFD -- I even spoke with a supervisor.

Experian didn't even seem to know what I was talking about -- as opposed to TU which was aware and understood everything.

So my question is -- should I dispute and request the DOFD?? Would there be a downside in doing that??

Assuming May 21, 2012 is correct, I would be able to ask for EE in three months from Experian. But if they cannot get me an answer, I would get the report removed.

Looking for guidance here.

Thanks.

By law the DoFD must be reported to the CRA within 90 days of a collection being reported so there is a violation their on the part of the collector.  If this has not updated in awhile a dispute is going to bring the status date current when it updates and drop your Fico score. It might be better to wait till it gets closer to the time you can request the EE from Experian they dont like to do them unless its inside a 90 day window. Another way to approach it would be to request a GW deletion of it from the collection agency itself.

Message 2 of 3
RobertEG
Legendary Contributor

Re: MY LAST COLLECTION -- on one remaining Credit Bureau report

If they did not seem to know what you were asking about, it may be just as likely that they simply did not know where to look for it, as opposed to it not being in your file.  Ignorance and/or laziness does not equate to proof that it is not of record in your file.

As stated in a prior response, FCRA 623(a)(5) requires that a debt collector report the DOFD to the CRA no later than 90 days after they report their collection to that CRA.  The fact that debt collectors all know this, coupled with the fact that it was reported to the other two CRAs, makes it likely that it is in your file at EXP, but the personnel either did not know how to find it, or did not do a proper search.

What is commonly called the DOFD is stored in your file under the Metro 2 reporting code system in the Base Segment at Field Code 25, called the "FCRA Compliance Date/Date of First Delinquency."  I would contact them again and provide that specific info.

If, by some chance, the DOFD is not currently in your file, the CRA could simply request it from the debt collector without any need for deletion of the collection.  A dispute would presume it is not there.  The CRA would then be required to conduct a reasonable investigation, along with forwarding to the debt collector, and the result would be their ability to obtain the DOFD and overcome the issue.

You might, before going formal with a dispute asserting lack of completeness of your file, pull a full credit report from annualcreditreport.com, which tends to be more complete.  

Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.