Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a mess of things, advice needed!

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Making a mess of things, advice needed!

I have been trying to fix my ridiculously bad credit for about a year now, and its been....frustrating. Last year when i started I was low-mid 500's.....I am now at low-high 500's. I had a good number of student loans in default....I consolidated them, got them out of default and am keeping them in good standing. Shockingly this knocked my credit score down about 60 points. I assume this has to do with altering my credit history length, but honestly half the time I can't figure out a rhyme or reason. I try to do the fiscally responsible thing and somehow it lowers my score, meanwhile opening up credit lines increases it etc. I'm just at an impasse with this nightmare. I have collections on my account. I see advice to pay them off, then advice not to pay them and wait them out. Some say paying them will negatively affect my credit by changing the date on them, some say it wont change at all, some say it will improve my score. Honestly, the ones I have paid seem to be a crap shoot on the effect. I feel like I'm just blindly groping at the unattainable. I opened a 1 year self credit builder loan, paid it on time every time and it has since been paid off and I just opened a 2 year one to replace it also paying on time. I have the associated self credit card with a 500 limit that usually has a zero balance as I use it but pay it off before the statement date every month. I opened a capital one platinum with a $500 limit that I also keep paid off, and a secured opensky card with a 200 limit,  which was bumped to 250 without an additional deposit also stays paid off. I also got a car loan so I could add in another kind of credit, and make those payments on time. Yet my score has been staying basically static. What am I doing wrong? I really just need to understand what's going on and would appreciate any advice I can get.

12 REPLIES 12
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

Re: Making a mess of things, advice needed!

@Anonymous wrote:

I have been trying to fix my ridiculously bad credit for about a year now, and its been....frustrating. Last year when i started I was low-mid 500's.....I am now at low-high 500's. I had a good number of student loans in default....I consolidated them, got them out of default and am keeping them in good standing. Shockingly this knocked my credit score down about 60 points. I assume this has to do with altering my credit history length, but honestly half the time I can't figure out a rhyme or reason. I try to do the fiscally responsible thing and somehow it lowers my score, meanwhile opening up credit lines increases it etc. I'm just at an impasse with this nightmare. I have collections on my account. I see advice to pay them off, then advice not to pay them and wait them out. Some say paying them will negatively affect my credit by changing the date on them, some say it wont change at all, some say it will improve my score. Honestly, the ones I have paid seem to be a crap shoot on the effect. I feel like I'm just blindly groping at the unattainable. I opened a 1 year self credit builder loan, paid it on time every time and it has since been paid off and I just opened a 2 year one to replace it also paying on time. I have the associated self credit card with a 500 limit that usually has a zero balance as I use it but pay it off before the statement date every month. I opened a capital one platinum with a $500 limit that I also keep paid off, and a secured opensky card with a 200 limit,  which was bumped to 250 without an additional deposit also stays paid off. I also got a car loan so I could add in another kind of credit, and make those payments on time. Yet my score has been staying basically static. What am I doing wrong? I really just need to understand what's going on and would appreciate any advice I can get.

You have three credit cards, an auto loan and a self-lending loan. Sounds good to me. Now you need to just wait without apping (in the garden) and let those accounts age. While that is going on, then you need to write goodwill letters to possibly get rid of the bad remarks.

Also you mentioned some charge-offs or collections. Those have to be dealt with because each month they report it keeps your score down. Who are they with as some will pay for delete or PFD. I personally just did a couple of those this past few months. 

Starting Score: EQ497/TU496/EX 499
Currently: EQ 620 TU 654 EX 627
in the garden since 6/16/2021
Message 2 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Oh my....my collections list is extensive. I'm paying 1 down currently. I'm kind of frozen on the rest. Not sure which to pay 1st, if I should be paying them etc. I keep getting conflicting info.

02/21 my most recent from a hospital visit before I moved that I forgot all about. Suprise...I have 8 americollect accounts being reported (which is lovely since its 1 hospital visit but broken down into multiple parts) $1200 or so in total

07/17 Midland funding/messerli and kramer- $1311- I made an agreement and pay $125 a month.

07/17 LVNV $578

01/17 Diversified adjustments $613

7/17 portfolio recoveries $436

9/17 advantage collection pros $510

Message 3 of 13
designated_knitter
Established Contributor

Also, you'll want to let at least on cc report a small balance every month or it will appear that you're not using credit.  Having all cards report a zero balance every month actually causes a scoring penalty.  Seems messed up but that's how FICO rolls.

Hang in there.

Started Over Again after Cap1 Death Penalty:
06/15/2019:
03/02/2021:
04/06/2021:
05/28/2021:
Lesson Learned: DON'T POKE THE BEAR!!! THE BEAR WILL WIN!!!
Message 4 of 13
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

Oh my....my collections list is extensive. I'm paying 1 down currently. I'm kind of frozen on the rest. Not sure which to pay 1st, if I should be paying them etc. I keep getting conflicting info.

02/21 my most recent from a hospital visit before I moved that I forgot all about. Suprise...I have 8 americollect accounts being reported (which is lovely since its 1 hospital visit but broken down into multiple parts) $1200 or so in total I would definitely  save up that total then write a PFD letter for those especially since it is one hospital stay with multiple bills. 

07/17 Midland funding/messerli and kramer- $1311- I made an agreement and pay $125 a month. I think that they will PDF you can research the ones that will on here. 

07/17 LVNV $578

7/17 portfolio recoveries $436 They will PFD done that myself

Definitely I would write them asking if they would PFD and work it that way. It is a process but you can do that while you whittle away time in the Garden letting those CCs age. Also let one report a balance of something. 

Message 5 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Thanks for the advice! I was contemplating getting a loan for $5000 to just abolish all the collections at once. As my payment would be fairly minor especially as I'm already paying 125 a month just at the one, plus the on time loan payments would help. However, you need the credit to get a loan to fix the things to get the credit. Can you tell 2017 wasnt my year🥺 I will try to get some pdf's, but in their absence, just paying off a collection in general. How does it affect the score? Anyone know?

Message 6 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Somehow I am not even surprised that they ding you for a 0 reported balance. Everything about it seems inside out and backwards at this point. God forbid you pay off your balance every month right before the statement date....horribly irresponsible 🙄😅 Thanks for letting me know. I guess I will pay them off -$20 and see if that helps.

Message 7 of 13
Sandman771
Valued Contributor

There are those on here that know more than me but a Paid in Full collection is better than an active collection. A PFD is better than a PIF collection. Sometimes you just have to PIF and let them age as they get older they impact less. So pay what you can and let them start aging while you garden and grow those CCs. Each month that goes by those bad accounts get farther in the rearview mirror. It is a marathon not a sprint and it is very hard to do.  Good luck in your journey

Message 8 of 13
calyx
Super Contributor

@Anonymous wrote:

02/21 my most recent from a hospital visit before I moved that I forgot all about. Suprise...I have 8 americollect accounts being reported (which is lovely since its 1 hospital visit but broken down into multiple parts) $1200 or so in total

For medical collections:

c/p from @gdale6 :

For unpaid medical debt that is reporting on your CR:

1. Call the OC and see if insurance can be billed, if not then
2. see if you qualify for Charity Care, if not then
3. ask that they recall the collection in exchange for full payment
4. Send the reporting CA a PFD offer
5. Google the HIPAA Process and contact its creator for help

07/17 Midland funding/messerli and kramer- $1311- I made an agreement and pay $125 a month.

Midland will do PFDs when their collections is paid - this will help

07/17 LVNV $578

7/17 portfolio recoveries $436

PRA will also do a PFD, so that one can come off, too.

I believe LVNV will not PFD (see next comment - I was wrong), I am unsure of the other two companies.
Find out if they will PFD.   Otherwise, I would pay off the collections that will not PFD first, so that way they stop reporting and suppressing your score.

Once you have paid your collections and/or had them removed, your score will likely start growing (slowly) as time lessens the dings.

Calling and speaking with the companies will not harm your credit score or file (people think this causes a "reset" of the tradeline, it does not).  Find out if theyll (we know Midland & PRA) do a PFD.  If not, see if they will settle for less than full.  You really want to the the collections paid off so they stop updating - so start with the ones that will not PFD first.

You mention your student loans.  I know you've consolidated them - but are the original defaulted loans still on your credit report, and if so, who are they with (who WAS the servicer)?

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 9 of 13
Joobie
Regular Contributor

I settled with LVNV & the account was removed from my credit reports.

Starting Credit Scores:

Current Credit Scores:

Current Credit Cards (In Order of Approval):
Message 10 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.