cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making a mess of things, advice needed!

tag
calyx
Super Contributor

Re: Making a mess of things, advice needed!

Thanks for the correction @Joobie !

Happy practitioner of AZE7or8or9or10 | Team Finances > FICO
Message 11 of 13
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

@Joobie wrote:

I settled with LVNV & the account was removed from my credit reports.

Can also vouch that LVNV will delete upon settlement/PIF. I had one deleted after PIF in 2019.

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 12 of 13
Anonymous
Not applicable

Midland will also delete even if you settle for less than the full amount. Unlike Portfolio, Midland has the caveat that the debt must be at least two years old. This isn't a problem for OP since they stated that these are from 2017 (I'm mentioning it for the benefit of future newcomers who may not know this).

@Anonymous - the reason you're seeing mixed score results when paying collections is due to the reporting tendencies of those collectors. Some slap a collection on your reports and just let it sit. In your case, if they did that and you paid it today, you'd lose points when they update your balance to zero because they hadn't been updating it all along. It appeared to be a stagnant old four-year old debt, and when it updated it was "refreshed" in the eyes of the algorithm, causing a loss.

Other, might I say more malevolent collectors will update the bureaus monthly, kind of like saying "hey, yeah they still owe us, just like last month, and the month before, and the month before that, and..." - by doing that, their account always appears to be new to the algorithm. It doesn't cost you points each month but it does suppress your scores. However, when you pay and they update it to zero, it's just another update in a long string of them and therefore the update doesn't harm you. 

Law states that once a debt is paid or settled, it must be updated to reflect that, and then the updates must stop. That's what @calyx meant above by it being able to begin to age and fade back. The longer the amount of time that passes between the final update and now, the more your scores can heal. And definitely allow one card to report $10-15 while the others deport zero. That should gain you an easy 10-15 points. 

Good luck and follow up anytime with further questions!

Message 13 of 13
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.