cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Making progress on my debts! Help on removing LVNV collection from credit report

tag
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Making progress on my debts! Help on removing LVNV collection from credit report

Good evening MyFICOers!

I have manged to settle 3 accounts, with the next one being LVNV (not settle, PIF). I would love to remove them from my credit report though to improve my credit. I've tried looking around, and can't find any topics about having them removed after PIF. Does anyone have any contact info? Any success stories having them delete their tradeline after being paid in full? Any and all help is appreciated.

Thank you!

Last App: 1/10/2023
Penfed Gold Visa Card

Currently rebuilding as of 04/11/2019.

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 1 of 15
14 REPLIES 14
Remedios
Credit Mentor

Re: Making progress on my debts! Help on removing LVNV collection from credit report

Not really @OmarGB9 

Every so often there is a story about removal, but those are pretty rare. Do they own the debt now or are they just collecting on the behalf of OC?

If they own the debt, it's going to be very hard. If this is a collection account that can still be recalled by OC, you might have better luck with that scenario. 

Message 2 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Re: Making progress on my debts! Help on removing LVNV collection from credit report

I'm not 100% sure, but I think they own it...as the OC (Cap One) doesn't even show up on my reports...they've also employed a law firm to sue me and collect. I've already made payment arrangements, but now I kind of wish I had tried to set up a PFD prior to agreeing to a payment plan. Though I don't know if that would've worked anyway since they were already suing me.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 3 of 15
Remedios
Credit Mentor

I dont think PFD would work with them. Best you can do is make payment arrangements with the law firm and pay voluntarily because if they were to proceed with legal action, the other methods of collecting are by far worse, such as wage garnishments and bank account levy 

Message 4 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

Well I just read another topic where someone didn't even inquire about PFD, and a few weeks after paying LVNV came off on their own. I guess I can remain optimistic and hope the same happens for me?

Otherwise, do you (or anyone else) have GW letter templates I can use to try and make nice and ask for removal after the fact? Like I said, I already made payment arrangements, and I should be finished paying by the end of this month.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 5 of 15
sjt
Senior Contributor

LVNV are debt buyers, so Capital One sold the debt to them. They might be one of several large companies that will delete the tradeline once the account is paid or settled and the DOFD is over two years.

Also, what was the DOFD on your Capital One account that was sold to LVNV?

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 6 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

July 2018 is the DOFD.

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 7 of 15
sjt
Senior Contributor

@OmarGB9 wrote:
July 2018 is the DOFD.

Call them for a goodwill.

American Express: Platinum Charge, Optima, Business Gold, Delta Business Reserve, Business Cash, Business Plus
Barclays: Arrival+ WEMC
Capital One: Savor WEMC, Venture X Visa Infinite
Chase: Freedom U Visa Signature, CSR Visa Infinite
Citibank: AAdvantage Platinum WEMC
Elan/US Bank: Fidelity Visa Signature
Credit Union: Cash Back Visa Signature
FICO 08: Score decrease between 26-41 points after auto payoff (11.01.21) FICO as of 5.23, EX: 812 / EQ: 825 / TU: 815
Message 8 of 15
FireMedic1
Community Leader
Mega Contributor

@sjt wrote:

LVNV are debt buyers, so Capital One sold the debt to them. They might be one of several large companies that will delete the tradeline once the account is paid or settled and the DOFD is over two years.

Also, what was the DOFD on your Capital One account that was sold to LVNV?

LVNV is not one of those companies. Portfolio and Midland are the top 2. LVNV is brutal and you'd have a better chance at being hit by lightning holding a golf club in a thunderstorm than getting a PFD from them. 

Message 9 of 15
OmarGB9
Community Leader
Super Contributor

So I've heard. But I did read one instance where they automatically deleted their TL upon PIF without the person asking. And another instance where GW letters eventually worked. So perhaps there's a little hope?

Penfed Gold Visa Card

Starting FICO 8 Scores:

Current FICO 8 scores:

Message 10 of 15
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.