Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Marriage Collection

tag
Anonymous
Not applicable

Marriage Collection

Hello everyone, the issue that I have with my credit is a collection due to my marriage. I am divorce now. Basically my ex wife forged my signature to get an apartment when we were together. I am former military. Long story short she didn’t pay the last month rent of the apartment and now it’s on my collection. How can I dispute this? I really need this collection off my credit. Thanks!
Message 1 of 3
2 REPLIES 2
Pikaboo-icu
Valued Contributor

Re: Marriage Collection

Welcome to My Fico. Smiley Happy

I've been married 25 years and have often "forged" my husbands signature, he was well aware when I did it thus making it not illegal.

Did you know she signed for you? Was it without your consent? If so did you file a police report?

The fact you were married at the time and it was a rental agreement may mean it's a community property debt depending on the state.

Was this debt covered under the divorce? As "her" debt? 

How long ago did this signing/forgery occur? If it's been several years, they will likely question it being claimed a forgery this long after..

All of that said; are you in a position to pay the debt?

You could attempt to dispute it with the CB's if you're honestly not responsible for it. 

I'm sure others will be along with helpful advice soon.

CHEERS

Message 2 of 3
Anonymous
Not applicable

Re: Marriage Collection

Did you live in the Aoartment she “forged”
Your signature on? Did you ever pay rent on that apartment? If you answered yes to either, especially the latter thy likely have proof of payments and will decline your dispute. Hopefully you can get it removed!
Message 3 of 3
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.