Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

May not exist to credit bureaus

tag
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

May not exist to credit bureaus

Hey all! This is actually about my step-father since I am doing a credit/finance overhaul for the family.  When he was married some years ago his ex-wife opened many accounts in his name and helped him ruin his credit.  He declared bankruptcy in 2005 which was a chapter 7.  Since then he has several medical bills because he couldnt afford healthcare.  The earliest is from 2008 and the lastest is fro 2011.  The total amount is probably about 3500$ all together.  He also was able to get a car loan but it super hard for him and its not reporting to all three bureaus as the same type of credit line(doesnt report to experian at all, and shows up as personal loans on the other two)  When I use the credit assisting tools on these sites, it doesnt even take into account that loan payments that he is making to get his score.  However, his  ex plus is 697(i already know fako) his tu is 544 and his eq is 636.  My mother said that she was unable to help him get credit cards as he has no established credit but that car loan that was applied for last year.   He hs 2 out of 3 scores that are not horrible but i dont understand why he cant at least get cc offers in th mail.  He has two scores better than mine and i have three ccs.  What can we do to help him get ccs to help him rebuild his credit as the bureaus are saying that is nothing helping him build it up.

Beginning:Explus 630 eq 573 tu 593
Current: EXplus:677 Eq 642 TU 727
Goal: Explus 700 eq 700 tu 800

Merrick: 1550 Capital One:1150 Barclay: 2000 Walmart: 300 Chase Freedom: 500
Message 1 of 6
5 REPLIES 5
llecs
Moderator Emeritus

Re: May not exist to credit bureaus

If he were my father, and I was tasked with the application of knowledge from here and elsewhere to aid in his repair, the first thing I would do is tell him to stop applying for credit. Repair then rebuild. If he has no CCs, then he'd definitely benefit with one, but if he's in a financial bind to where paying a car payment is tough or paying medical bills is a challenge, then a CC or any other form of credit is the last thing I'd ever recommend. It doesn't make sense to start repair, then rebuilding, if there's a prospensity for lates being added.

The first thing I'd do is make sure he's 100% on time. If there's a budget shortfall each month, the first thing I'd advise is to cut expenses and increase income, all the while selling off assets to have spare cash for emergency funds, savings, and extra funds to pay off bad debt so as to aid the repair process. Once his ducks are in a row, then I'd tell him to start repair. The last thing he'd ever want is a CC in a negative shortfall. The first thing people do is use CCs as a crutch and the cycle continues of bad credit.

For repair, the BK will continue to drag scores, but there's not too much he can do. I believe BK7 reports for 10 years. I have seen some examples of scores into the 700s with a BK7 reporting, so it isn't the end of the world.

For the medical, once he has the savings in place, then I'd tell him to send DV letters to each of the medical CAs. If they verified and he agreed, then I'd tell him to send a PFD letter. If they agree in writing, then tell him to pay it off and they'll delete and that'll help in a big, big way.

Tell him to pay the car on time no matter what. Per FICO scoring, it's viewed as an installment vs. a car loan or personal loan so don't worry about the description. It's up to the lender to report to none, one, two, or all 3. They don't have to report to Experian. He can ask them to but there's no requirement.

PEr offers, the collections are holding him back. There's a chance his Experian FICO is in the 500s. IME, EX FICO weighed baddies pretty heavily. Even when my scores were approaching 700, I wasn't getting any offers. IMO, it's too early for that anyway.

I would advise him that once his finances are stable, and repair is wrapping up, then I'd suggest to him to get a secured CC from somewhere. Getting that first CC is tough and to avoid added inquiries, a secured CC is the way to go. The limit doesn't matter per FICO, but higher limits begat higher limits. After that reports for several months, then it'll be easier to add a 2nd or a 3rd.

Message 2 of 6
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much! One clarifiction what does DV mean?

Message 3 of 6
luckelle
Regular Contributor

DV (debt validation)

Starting Score: 5/2012 TU 595, EQ 565, EX fako 547
Current Score:as of 9/2012, TU 626,Walmart 612, EQ 600, EX fako 623
Goal Score: 640 by dec 2013
BofA Au 13000, Amazon 600, Capt1 300, Walmart 150
When all else fails pay it!

Message 4 of 6
MarineVietVet
Moderator Emeritus

@Chbraswell wrote:

Thank you so much! One clarifiction what does DV mean?

Hello and welcome.

Here is a helpful list of Abbreviations.

Message 5 of 6
Chbraswell
Regular Contributor

Thank you so much!!!

Message 6 of 6
Advertiser Disclosure: The offers that appear on this site are from third party advertisers from whom FICO receives compensation.